War and Peace

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Oh, where oh where can my baby be?
The Lord took her away from me
She's gone to heaven, so I got to be good
So I can see my baby when I leave this world.
-- Last Kiss, Pearl Jam --



A small section of the newspaper that sunny Sunday morning held a small, perhaps moving paragraph about the tragedy surrounding a hometown girl. Cold, hard details outlined the circumstances of her death -- a broken neck as the result of being thrown from a vehicular collision -- and recited the place of memorial, along with a list of accomplishments she'd achieved in her short life, and a list of friends and family that would fondly remember her.

But, all it was was black and white print, hard facts, cold truth. The reality was far more grim; between the lines, no words could comprehend the pain of a shell-shocked family nor the grief of close friends.

No letters could spell the heart-wrenching misery of regret in a teenage boy who would never have another chance.

Screenshot-203.jpg

No one, not even young Amelia, was exempt from the impact of Emerald's death. Long after the rest of Twinbrook had paid their respects and left, the Kanes and Greenwoods lingered, their eyes resting upon her grave in mourning.

Jebidiah took Meredith's hand in his; neither could comprehend the loss of the child... even Emerald's death hit too close to home.

Screenshot-204.jpg

Bradley, fragile Bradley, could do nothing more than sob; Travis's eyes remained fixed at the tomb, avoiding the awkward glances from Jade only feet away.

Screenshot-206.jpg

And, Oliver, Emerald's father, remained a stoic presence for his wife, but not a shred of good it did Holly; there was nothing, not even the strength of her husband, that could ease this pain.

This was all that was left of Emerald's solemn crowd, still suffering too much to turn and walk away. It was too painful, to walk away.

Screenshot-212.jpg

However, as Travis finally caved and began to sulk away, Bradley tore himself from Emerald's side and followed him.

"YOU!"

Travis looked at his brother, shocked. "Brad?"

Screenshot-213.jpg

"This... This was ALL your fault!" Bradley continued to point his finger at Travis' chest.

"What are you talking about, Brad?" he asked, trying to remain respectfully quiet.

"How dare you feign ignorance, Travis! It's because of you that she was driving that car last night... Because of you that she was so upset she lost control of the car! It's because you cheated on her!"

Screenshot-215.jpg

"That's absurd!" Travis responded in a hoarse whisper. "It's not my fault she made that decision, Bradley! How can you pin random chance on being my fault?"

"What, so you're saying her death was a fluke, now?" Bradley growled. "That it was just a roll of the dice that decided she had to die?"

Screenshot-216.jpg

"Uuugh, Brad, of course that's not what I mean," Travis grumbled, clutching his face in frustration. "It's just lots of things added together, alright?"

Bradley snorted, rolling his eyes. "Yeah, 90% of which would not have been part of the equation of you would've done the right thing in the first place."

Screenshot-221.jpg

"Oh yeah?!" Travis guffahed. "Then who's the loser that dumped her in my lap in the first place, huh?! Who's the loser that led her straight into my arms? If you should be blaming anyone, it's yourself, for making me part of the equation in the first place!"

Bradley was taken aback by Travis's reverse accusation. "It wouldn'tve been an issue if you weren't such a miserable human being."

Screenshot-224.jpg

For a long moment, they exchanged glares, completely at a lost for words with each other.

Screenshot-225.jpg

But, the tension merely mounted as their glare intensified; it was either continue the bloodthirsty insults or walk away... And neither boy was ready to walk away.

Screenshot-226.jpg

"I can't believe you're pinning all of this on me, Bradley! I'm your brother, for Plumbbob's sakes! It's not like I intended for any of this to happen!"

"Yeah? Well, it did, and now the only person I ever loved is dead because of you!"

"Do you think I didn't love her at all?!" Travis suddenly exploded. "You're acting like I don't care at all, Brad! I'm devistated, can't you see that?"

Screenshot-227.jpg

"Don't even," Bradley said, wagging his finger at Travis' face. "Don't even dare belittle my love for her by saying you even cared about her. You treated her poorly from day one, you used her, pretended she was someone else the entire time, then broke her heart like it was some child's toy -- all because you decided to run off with her #@*!*#&! of a sister instead!"

Screenshot-230.jpg

That did it -- all it took was one sour word about Jade, and Travis let loose the big guns; not even bothering to restrain  his impulse, he smacked Brad upside the head.

After a moment, once Bradley recovered from the surprise of his brothers' attack, he decided to launch one of his own...

Screenshot-233.jpg

... and grabbed his brother by the shoulders as he tackled him to the ground.

Screenshot-234.jpg

Empowered by justice... deranged grief... or nerd revenge from all the world, Bradley's skinny frame somehow managed to get Travis-the-jock into a headlock, and bounced him around for a while...

Screenshot-235.jpg

.... before flinging him up into the air, and knocking him defeated to the ground.

For a moment, Bradley was exhilerated with triumph, feeling as if one small vendetta had been served on account of Emerald: but he was wrong.

Screenshot-237.jpg

"What are you doing?!" Meredith came up behind Brad and tapped him on the shoulder, whipping him around to face her to face her own wrath. "Have you no respect for your best friend?! Or how about her parents, still over there grieving?! You either shut up or leave, before I drag you by your ear out of here myself, so help me!"

Screenshot-239.jpg

Bradley tried to explain, but Meredith wouldn't have it. "I'm so tired of you two fighting, Bradley. You'd think that the death of the one thing you had in common would bring you two together, but... You are impossible. I'm so, so disappointed, in both of you."

Wiping a small tear from her cheek, Meredith turned back to the grave to round up Jebidiah and Amelia to leave; it was time to leave the family to their own private mourning... Luckily, they'd been so absorbed that neither Oliver nor Holly seemed to notice the two boys dueling in the background.

Screenshot-218.jpg

As Meredith turned away, Bradley and Travis gave each other one last stare-down. There was no words to describe the sudden hatred that each felt for the other... The bitter rivalry that had begun a feud that may never end.

Their friendship had always been testy, but now, it was no more: it was a friendship that had died along with Emerald that cold, painful night.

Screenshot-240.jpg

As Bradley turned to leave, Jade appeared at Travis's side, and held him in her arms; why Travis cried, we may never know... For the loss of a friendship, for the pain of Emerald's death, as a response to everything he said... Maybe it was it all.


Screenshot-241.jpg

It was a horrible day, at the end of a horrible week; it marked the end of many things, for many people. It was the end of an innocent life, an end of a parents' tender care, and the end of a tenuous friendship...

Screenshot-242.jpg

... but, for others, it marked the beginning of something beautiful, rising from the ashes.

Screenshot-208.jpg

But, as beautiful as it may be, some loves cannot be matched.
Some loves can never die.



I found the love that I knew I would miss
But now she's gone, even though I hold her tight
I lost my love, my life that night.

17 comments:

Raisin Hale August 24, 2010 at 7:45 PM  

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i didn't watch the machinma since i'm in starbucks with no headphones, so maybe it already showed her die? but this is new to me! i was soooo rooting for brad and emerald. poor poor brad... and on the sibling rivalry, i saw that coming. travis is a jerk! he can't take responsibility for anything, i wanna kick his butt. i'm about to go watch the video on mute

Unknown August 24, 2010 at 7:55 PM  

It did. :( I can imagine this post would be a huge surprise without watching the video! The machinima is a mashup of sequences from the best moments that Travis&Brad had with her, as a contrast to them being brought to her body at the scene of the car accident where she died.

Poor Brad indeed. :(

Dee August 24, 2010 at 7:58 PM  

Oh my, that song is older than I am. I know every word of it. I hadn't thought of it in years. It's going to be stuck in my head for days.
I knew all hell was going to break loose and it did. I just didn't expect it to be at the cemetary. Even the Kane family will never be the same. I know they have been on shaky ground many many times, but this...

PiB - Nicarra August 24, 2010 at 8:02 PM  

The poor Greenwood family to lose one of their girls so soon.

Ah Bradley, he is a jerk, he didn't love Emerald like you did but Travis is your brother and family is one constant in your life. It was partly his fault but you do have to take some credit for not talking to Emerald long ago. Your mom has a point, the death should create new bonds - you both loved her, his love just wasn't very deep.

@Raisin, fortunately you don't need the soundtrack. It's a great song but only a song.

Unknown August 24, 2010 at 8:04 PM  

It's possibly one of my favorite songs ever, but I can't make it through the first chorus without crying. It doesn't take much to bring me to tears, heh. :)

Brad couldn't contain it any longer. When I was writing this, I kept asking myself, 'would Brad actually be this mad?' He's supposed to be a Friendly sim and all, but... I imagine, after this, Travis would be the one person he'd no longer be nice to.

I was infinitely surprised that Bradley actually won that fight, though. Bradley: 0 athletic skill. Travis: max'd athletic. I suppose the rage really *did* empower him...

Unknown August 24, 2010 at 8:07 PM  

@PiB: I totally agree. Meredith is right, and in reality, it really isn't Travis' fault. However, it's easier for Brad to grasp reality when he has someone to blame for what happened, instead of just having to cope.

The poor boy is such a mess. He's been so grouchy the last few days, and hasn't been changing outfits properly like everyone else. :(

Anonymous,  August 24, 2010 at 8:17 PM  

There's no rule that says family has to like each other or get along. Hating your brother does not make you a bad person, it makes you human.

It's not Travis' fault but all Brad sees is how poorly Travis treated and valued Emerald. And that's just going to be magnified now.

Meredith has no clue what is going on with her sons. And as much as she can hope, there's little she can do. Some wounds don't heal.

mmmcheezy225 August 24, 2010 at 8:35 PM  

From the last post, to this one...I'm still in a state of shock. I'll just leave it at ":O" for now.

Anonymous,  August 24, 2010 at 8:42 PM  

Kaleeko, I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying this. It's making me feel so much, reminding me of my own "stuff" and it doesn't stop. There's something new that comes up with each reading/viewing. That's good stuff, my friend.

PiB, I hope you find your silly with Jack because Kaleeko is right when she says we need it.

PiB - Nicarra August 24, 2010 at 8:43 PM  

You know, I hope Jack is ready to flirt his little heart out cause I need something to counterbalance this. Oh Jack, you have a few hours to get ready...to have some MAJOR interaction time with your pretty housemates...all of them.

PiB - Nicarra August 24, 2010 at 8:44 PM  

Funny, I think Chrysame was asking for Jack when I was typing that jack best be ready!

Anonymous,  August 24, 2010 at 8:48 PM  

Great minds, PiB? Balance, it's all about balance and Jack can give us that.

Unknown August 24, 2010 at 9:13 PM  

Ut oh. I broke mmmcheezy! *heart*

I'm so, so glad you're enjoying it, Chrysame. This kind of stuff isn't for everyone, but it's the sort of substance closest to my heart. My hubby doesn't get it. I'm glad he doesn't. ;) At least one person in my house needs to be immune!

I actually added little captions to the images on this post (haven't in a while because they get pretty redundant usually), nothing too special but mentions a couple things that were important on how I set the scenes up.

Hahahaha, and yes, totally agreed: We need some Jack and some shmexiness. It'd be an awesome pick me up! That blog always is. ;)

Anonymous,  August 24, 2010 at 9:24 PM  

I read the captions. You can change their ghost color? Interesting. I assume a mod does this.

Brad walking away, alone while Travis hugs Jade. That's a cold lonely walk, Brad. I think Brad should be rich. One of his inventions will be groundbreaking and make him a simillionaire.

There are so many avenues you can explore now. The sims will have to pick which road to travel.

Unknown August 24, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

Yep, it's a mod widget. I'll include that in the wrap-up thingabob.

Brad walking was such a huge turning point, in my book. Like, really saying, "This was the last straw, it's over." And now, he's completely alone. :(

There's definitely a lot of directions things could go from here. That's part of the reason I want help deciding evil vs. grumpy as his next trait, because which one he is could greatly effect who he becomes as an adult. Still, that's quite a ways off. We'll have to see how he is, once we get to that point. :)

Di Al Martini August 25, 2010 at 1:14 AM  

So many emotions in this post. Great pictures too. I wonder who will be the next heir. Will still it be Amelia or Brad or Travis? I guess I have to wait.

I can't believe she died. Though, You will find some of the main characters in my stories are going to die by my purpose or naturally gameplay. It sucks, but for the story, we had to do it. I'm just hoping that you will still like the story without some of them. :( But, I still love this blog and the story, even though I feel bad for Brad...

Jen August 25, 2010 at 5:33 PM  

Such a sad finale to a wonderful season. I do love the other two seasons but I think I enjoyed this one season the most. :)

Oh Brad. He is going to be hurting for a long time. Blaming Travis isn't going to bring her back. I didn't want to say it but if he has anyone to blame then it's himself. :(

Will this tragedy bring Travis and Jade closer together though? They are teens after all...but then they could end up being high school sweethearts. Who knows?

It was a lovely funeral for a beautiful young girl. :)

Great shots and wonderful writing, Kaleeko, all through out the whole season. ;)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This Blog is a fictional story written using the Sims 3 (tm Electronic Arts); it is written by the:

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP