Reality

Monday, August 9, 2010

Every one of us, from the moment we are born, seeks to become something: a great mother, a wonderful friend, a famous rock star, a firefighter... But not all people who wish for something are destined to fulfill it. We may try to change reality to suit our whims and wishes, to change who we are in order to satisfy our dreams... But there is a limit to how far we can go, how much we can change, so we can obtain what we desire.

Sometimes, we are better for the job than we think we are -- we never had to change, to get there...

But sometimes, there is nothing we can do...
Some obstacles are just too great...
To change our dream to a reality.





There was silence at the Kane breakfast table that morning. It was supposed to be a happy day, when Amelia was going from toddler to child, but even the crepes Meredith had labored over that morning were unable to soothe the family's churning gullets.

Screenshot-288.jpg

Jebidiah's mind sweltered under the hatred for a woman he realized he may no longer be able to blame for her shortcomings...

Travis's was wrought with thoughts of some troubling rumors he'd been hearing about his girlfriend...

Meredith was mourning the loss of the only friend she'd ever had in this one-horse town...

But Bradley's plate hadn't even been touched; he was suffering the worst agony of them all...
The memory of the night before.

Screenshot-292.jpg

"You look great, Emerald," he had managed to say when he first saw her.

Through much agonizing contemplation, Bradley had finally decided to ask her out on a 'date'. Well, at least, it could be considered that... He was careful to point out that while they were going to get dressed up to go out to the Bistro, it was just "as friends". Brad still wasn't exactly sure what to do, and he didn't want to give any false impressions until he was absolutely sure.

Dinner seemed to go well, although awkward; neither of them seemed to be able to say much. He knew why he couldn't -- but he couldn't quite figure out why she was. Did she just agree to come because she didn't want to hurt his feelings? Did she not want to be seen in public with him?

Screenshot-293.jpg

After they'd finished eating, they silently walked the short distance across the road to the beach, and sat down on one of the benches in the gazebo.

"So?" Emerald asked, a sheepish smile on her face.

"So? So... What?" was Bradley's response. He really was clueless to the situation.

"Oh, nothing," she said with disappointment. "I just thought... nevermind."

For a long while they just sat there, but Bradley could never muster the courage to do anything more than that. It just didn't seem right, he knew when Emerald wanted something, she always did it herself... Right?

Screenshot-294.jpg

The seconds turned to minutes, minutes to hours, and after so long in unendurable silence and random chit-chat, it was broken with the piercing sound of sirens. Mr. and Mrs. Greenwood were concerned about the whereabouts of their daughter, and had called the police to find out where she'd been.

"We were just sitting and talking, officer," Bradley tried to explain.

"Yeah, yeah, doesn't matter, I don't care," the officer responded with a shrug. "Parents are so miserably cautious about their children these days. If I have to be sent out after another kid 'breaking curfew' again..." The cop shook his head. "I'll drop you off at your house, so she can call her parents first and hopefully get them cooled off before going home."

Screenshot-296.jpg

Apparently Emerald's parents weren't the only ones with cause for concern, though.

"Mrs. Greenwood has called me six times wondering where you two were, Bradley. You know I don't care if you're out late, but didn't you once think to consider talking to Emerald's parents about this?! You make sure Emerald calls her parents, and then you are going straight to bed!"

Meredith was no drill sergeant, and had a very hard time giving punishment of any sort -- so Bradley knew right away, just to be yelling, his mother had to be very upset.

"Great," he thought to himself. "Just what I needed."

Screenshot-298.jpg

Emerald made a quick phone call to her parents -- which ended a bit too abruptly for Brad's comfort -- and afterwards immediately started to cry.

Brad was worried, and hated seeing Emerald like this... He put his hand against her arm, and gently asked, "Are you alright? What's wrong? Are your parents really upset?"


Screenshot-299.jpg

When Emerald looked up, the look in her eyes made Bradley's heart feel choked. "No, I could care less about what my parents think, Brad."

"Then what is it?"

"... You weren't going to ask me out tonight, were you?"

The question caught Bradley completely off-guard. He was so surprised, it took him several moments even to be able to move again... And by that point, he couldn't come up with anything better to say than the truth. He couldn't lie to her.

"No... I wasn't."


Screenshot-300.jpg

"Why?" Emerald's face was painful to look at; Bradley could barely stand to look into those hazel eyes, to feel their weeping disappointment. "After everything I've done to show you how much I like you... why?"

"I don't know," Brad said, looking away, ashamed. "I just... thought that if that's what you wanted, then you would... you know..."

"I can't do everything, Brad. I laid out what I wanted as plainly as I thought possible. I thought, if I did that, then it would be easier for you... but I guess I was wrong. You just aren't willing to take that final step. You're too... cautious, for your own good. Nothing in your life is ever going to get better unless you take a little risk now and then."

Screenshot-308.jpg

Brad could feel his expression souring at her assessment of his personality. It was true, but it still hurt to hear.

Since in his silence Emerald could tell he still wasn't going to attempt to change where this was headed, she hung her head and closed her eyes in remorse. "Brad, this isn't going to work. Not until you're willing to try. I really, really like you, but I can't be with someone that is going to leave everything up to me. You can't always be the perfect gentleman... not if you want to be with me."

Screenshot-309.jpg

At that point, the pressure inside Brad pushed just enough for a response. "Em, I just wanted to respect you... I care so much about you, I didn't want to hurt you or risk our friendship. Everything had been going so well, I thought if we just kept it the way it was... You'd just progress it as you wanted it to."


Screenshot-312.jpg

"Brad..." She took his hands into hers, and she almost seemed to smile. "I really care for you, too. You mean a lot to me... But I don't think you're ready for this. Not for a relationship with me, at least. You are and always will be my best friend... And when you're ready for this to be more, you know where to find me."

"... But, how will I know when I'm ready?"

"You'll know, when nothing can stop you from being with me."

Screenshot-313.jpg

Long after she'd gone, Bradley stood on the street, watching where he'd seen her disappear. Part of him wished she'd change her mind, that she'd turn around and come right back and take him in her arms.... but he knew she wouldn't.

If only he'd known that all he had to do was chase her down... That all he had to do was tell her to wait, so he could kiss her right then and there. To tell her he didn't care what she said, that he wanted her anyways.

But he didn't know, because it was the lesson he had to be taught.

Screenshot-314.jpg

... Pain, though... That was one lesson he needed no teaching to excel at.




By lunchtime, the family was able to forget the past few days in order to fully celebrate Amelia's special day. Her second birthday... Meredith's favorite. Kids parties were always the best! ... Too bad she didn't know any kids anymore, though. By now, all of Travis and Bradley's friends were teenagers -- but Amelia would be happy with family, right?

Screenshot-387.jpg

Travis got to be the special brother taking Amelia to the cake, that day -- two candles, for her second birthday... Two candles, to become a child.

Even angsty June was excited to see her cousin age up; Farah could have probably stood a bit of cheering up, though.

Screenshot-388.jpg

You may laugh, Jebidiah, but that little girl of yours is going to be the bane of your existance. Just you wait.

Screenshot-393.jpg

Bradley realized he had nothing to fear -- Amelia would always love her Big Brudder, no matter what...

Screenshot-397.jpg

... but she wouldn't always have the best footing in life. Whoops! At least her first "trip" to the pool was memorable. Haha. Pun. Haha. (And she's not even clumsy!)

Screenshot-402.jpg

Many of Travis' and Bradley's friends had been invited to the party, but of all the teenagers running around in their swimsuits, Bradley couldn't pick out Emerald. Where was she?

Since Emerald wasn't usually the type to miss anything, he stopped her sister while on the way to get a slice of cake. "Hey Jade," he asked. "Did Emerald say if she was going to come?"

Screenshot-404.jpg

"She's actually not feeling too well today," Jade responded nicely enough. "She said that something she ate last night was bothering her."

"Oh, so... she's not grounded?"

Jade laughed. "Oh, no, she's definitely grounded... But you should know by now, nothing like that ever stopped Em from doing what she wants."

Bradley sighed... Great. That left very few positive conclusions... He'd just have to ask her about it later, he supposed.

Screenshot-412.jpg

But everyone was already beginning to draw their own conclusions about what was going on between the two "love birds".





Screenshot-317.jpg

Later that day, as Meredith walked to the consignment store to check if Amelia's present was available yet, she passed by the gym... And, uncanny, that she should see the same person she saw the first time she'd ever visited the gym.

The little girl inside her that still believed in 'fate' saw this as that: an opportunity to win back what she'd lost... A final moment of truth.

Screenshot-321.jpg

"Eva... Eva wait!" Meredith burst through the double doors of the building and jumped in front of her quicker than Eva even knew how to react.

"I know you're really mad at me, but I just couldn't keep going on like this. I know I've told you I'm sorry a dozen times, but I'd have to say it a dozen times more to even touch the surface of how bad I feel. You're my best friend in the entire world and I need for you to at least... like... yell at me, because that'd at least a little less painful that this... this..." She couldn't find the word for it.


Screenshot-320.jpg

"Mere..." Eva's head hung loosely as her expression went from neutral to pained. "I was never really mad at you. I mean, I was, but... You were just... And Shamus was... Well, he is... and I mean... I..."

"Eva, are you okay?" Meredith bent down to look her friend in the eye... the closed eye, unfortunately. "What happened?"

"Nothing happened. I know the way Shamus is. The way he's always been. That's why we moved here to begin with... He got frisky with one of the nurses at the old hospital he worked at, so we moved to the middle of nowhere hoping he'd be able to keep his hands to himself. But he couldn't. It's just the way he is... You were vulnerable, he took advantage of it. That's all that was."

Screenshot-324.jpg

"Eva, you can't be not upset with me. He may've been trying to seduce me, but it's not like I gave a very tough fight. I mean, I don't have feelings for him at all, but I should've known better."

Screenshot-323.jpg

"I'm the one who told you to even the score, Meredith. I even saw you that day, but instead of making you stay with me and get it all out of your system, I made the stupid mistake of telling my husband, and he preyed on you like a hungry animal. I set myself up for that. I can't blame you without taking some responsibility for myself. Besides, now Shamus is gonna be stupidly doting for the next year or so... I should almost thank you."


Screenshot-331.jpg

"Eva... You do realize you're too nice sometimes, right?" Meredith said with a smile as Eva pulled her into a hug.

"Yeah," Eva responded, almost laughing. "But what good is it gonna do me to be angry? I knew the way my husband was when I married him, and I can't go blaming my closest friend for falling victim to that. It's just not right."

Screenshot-332.jpg

"What're you going to do, then?" Meredith asked, still a little shocked at how easily Eva seemed to be taking this.

"What do you think I'm going to do?" Eva said with a devillish smile. "I'm going to milk it for all it's worth. Doubt I'll have to change diapers for a month, he's already bought me half a dozen certificates to the spa, and given me a few massages himself. It'll never be perfect, but... Maybe guilt will inspire him to change for a while."

Screenshot-327.jpg

For the next half-hour, until Meredith realized that she really had to leave, they joked about the fortunes to come with Eva's new predicament, and how much power they now had over their husbands. In a way, it was like nothing had ever even happened, like things were just the way they'd always been.

Things between Eva and Meredith may never be quite the same again, but neither of them was willing to let it get in the way of their friendship.

On the outside, you'd never even notice...

Screenshot-315.jpg

... but on the inside, some hurts go deeper than the eyes can see.

Some dreams were just not meant to be fulfilled.

19 comments:

Anonymous,  August 8, 2010 at 9:15 PM  

Poor Bradley. He's young and he'll learn. Learning can hurt though.

This was a nice mix of sad and sweet. I'm glad Mere and Eva are in a better place. And Amelia still loves her Big Brudder.

What rumors has Travis been hearing about Jade? That sounds interesting.

Emerald's dress at the Bistro was adorable. It was just perfect for her.

Unknown August 8, 2010 at 9:39 PM  

Bradley will definitely learn... But it may be too little too late. Emerald's a free spirit, she does what she wants when she wants... Waiting for someone hiding in a box may not be what she had in mind.

They really do adore the cotton out of each other, though.

I really couldn't picture Eva being upset with Meredith for very long. I don't see Good sims as being the type to keep grudges! And, since the incident with Shamus, I've *constantly* been getting "Eva and Shamus were seen holding hands..." pop-ups from SP. If she could forgive Shamus, then she can forgive Mere.

The rumors about Jade will play a big part of tomorrow's post. It's gonna be veeeeeery interesting.

Anonymous,  August 8, 2010 at 9:54 PM  

I agree with that assessment of good sims. From the little I've seen of Eva in Twinbrook, she really is a sweet soul. Not that I've played there for a while. Real life is getting hectic.

Jade, what are you doing? Heh.

PiB - Nicarra August 8, 2010 at 10:05 PM  

Saving this up for after work when I can properly concentrate on it.

Poor Brad, such a little typical idiot geek boy.

Unknown August 8, 2010 at 10:19 PM  

Hope it calms down a bit, Chrysame! Although, I haven't really gotten a chance to play much Sims, either. Been out and about quite a bit the last week or so. That, and Starcraft 2 came out. >.>

I'll pry be asleep by the time you get off, PiB. Lucky you being able to comment from work, though. ;)

Raisin Hale August 9, 2010 at 12:05 AM  

i want to cry for bradley and emerald! when is someone gonna give him a clue? maybe jebediah should step in?

Anonymous,  August 9, 2010 at 12:28 AM  

This week is a doozy for me. Culminating in an early birthday party for my daughter (nearly a month early) at a pool, sleepover and then taking them all to the State Fair for the day and to see Selena Gomez. Someone have a giant drink for me. Please.

I've heard good things about Starcraft 2. :)

Brad, just remember that when you're ready doesn't mean Emerald will still be around. I have hope that eventually it will work out.

Um...why am I giving a sim advice? Time to sleep, methinks!

Unknown August 9, 2010 at 1:27 AM  

Oh man, Marty/Raisin, that is going to be so hard to get used to. ^^

I do feel really bad for Brad, but I actually want to make a point to mention that, even though I did script this, their wishes have kept falling in line with everything that's happened. Like, to a Tee. The short time I added Emerald to the household to do some scenes better, she rolled a wish to start dating Bradley -- Bradley never once rolled a wish to date Emerald. To this day, when they are in a room together, he rolls romantic wishes towards her... But never to date her. Foolish boy.

I adore Bradley, but I think I feel more sorry for Emerald. She just wants someone that is willing to make that step for her. In high school, I was in her position loads of times... Ended up wasting years waiting for boys that were never ready. Does that mean Brad is modeled after someone I used to know? Maybe. :-O

@Chrysame: Wow! Yeah, sounds like things have been crazy! It sounds like fun, but probably insanely draining. You deserve a double. ;) Make sure your daughter knows she owes you!

SC2 = Awesome. I am awful at RTS games, but it's actually a lot of fun. For me, anyways. I also just like watching my husband play. ;)

I think it's cute listening to advice! These Sims seriously need some. But, they're like the characters in TV shows... No matter how much you yell at them, they're still destined to make bad decisions.

Oh, and belatedly about Jeb & Mere: They're so wrapped up in their own problems right now, they don't seem to realize what's going on with their kids. That will change... not soon enough.

PiB - Nicarra August 9, 2010 at 1:47 AM  

Poor Poor Bradley, he so badly has no clues. Of course, I had no clues when I was his age, males were a different species. LOL

I hope Emerald can teach the boy better...eventually. I love the idea that the Sims have been doing what you wanted for the story. Mine do that sometimes and it is cool.

I'm glad Bradley still has his little sister!

Can't wait to find out what's up with Jade. :)

Good that Meredith and Eva are friends again.

Di Al Martini August 9, 2010 at 5:51 AM  

Finally,... I had a rough time (again) to give a comment here. I love the picture of Amelia near the pool. And she's not even clumsy?
Bradley seemed so smart, but not in the relationship area. Poor Emerald. If Bradley don't act soon, he probably will regret it. Bradley seemed the type to wait (when mostly girls do), he tried to be a gentleman, acted carefully, and got carried away by the thought that Emerald would be the one who leads the way. Bradley, you were not dealing with a science experiment. I wish I could knock his head. Well, maybe he wasn't ready yet. But, I agree this was one of the lessons he should learn. I feel bad for Emerald. She has given him all the signs. And there he was stood in front of her, clueless.

Di Al Martini August 9, 2010 at 5:55 AM  

Lol, I smiled reading your opening narration ^_^

Unknown August 9, 2010 at 11:07 AM  

Bradly is all book smarts, no street smarts. And absolutely no girl smarts! I love how you say "she's not a science experiment" -- it is like he's treating the situation like that, isn't it?

I really love that pic of Amelia, too -- I barely paused it in time to catch it. I see Sims trip into the pool so rarely that I never expected it!

Hehehe! I'm glad you liked the opening narration. I was actually sort of thinking about Lila as I wrote it. ^^ I sure hope she doesn't qualify as someone who will never fulfill their dream, though. I still have hope for her!

Dee August 9, 2010 at 4:26 PM  

This was great as always. Brad, what are we going to do with you. Poor guy. I wonder if he will ever figure it out.
I'm so happy to see Meredith and Eva are friendly again.
I look at the story you come up with for the pictures and wonder why can't I ever think of those things?

Anonymous,  August 10, 2010 at 1:32 PM  

Somehow I've acquired Meredith's CC hair and I can't find the file to purge it for the life of me. Can you tell me the file name or the hair name? Thanks!

Unknown August 10, 2010 at 3:01 PM  

Ack! That's odd. Hmmm.

Well, the filename on my computer is: peggyzone-sims3-F-FAhair041-091123

Must've missed removing it from one of her outfits or something... Hrm.

Anyways, I may not be able to post for the next day or so, been feeling really ill so I've been in bed too much to write. Hope y'all are having a great week! <3

PiB - Nicarra August 10, 2010 at 3:47 PM  

Hey Kaleeko, get a lot of sleep and get better soon!

Dee August 10, 2010 at 4:19 PM  

Get well soon Kaleeko. We'll still be here when you get better.

Unknown August 11, 2010 at 3:34 AM  

Thanks, guys. :) Got lots of rest this afternoon, but that means I haven't been able to sleep the past couple hours. Gah! Oh well. That means I just got to throw up today's post.

Also, belatedly at Dee: Everyone thinks differently, so everyone comes up with different things! I know I couldn't come up with the stuff you write in your blogs. I'm terribly unwitty, most of the time.

Also helps that I probably spend a good hour or two staring at my screenshots, ordering and reordering and rereordering before yelling at them to tell me what they mean! ;D

Jen August 17, 2010 at 5:21 PM  

I love these chapters about Brad. He really is a foolish boy though. Emerald has laid it all out, well maybe not all of it...lol... but most. Haha.

They would make a sweet couple IF Brad had the courage to make the move.
Hopefully it's not too late for him.

Glad to see Meredith and Eva are talking, how odd that she isn't even mad at Meredith. Her traits must be nice, nice & nice! ;)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This Blog is a fictional story written using the Sims 3 (tm Electronic Arts); it is written by the:

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP