Make Up or Break Up

Sunday, August 15, 2010

"You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone..." "Early bird gets the worm..." "Can't have your cake and eat it too..." Our mothers spent a majority of our childhood drilling these adages into our minds, but at least it was for good reason: 99.9% of the time, except for those with stupidly dumb luck, they're true.

Every crossroad leaves a choice to make, and every choice leads to a consequence -- fate, if you have it. One wrong turn can lead you down a path of dismay, one mistake a future of turmoil. It's a sad and lonely lesson, a certain Kane boy may have to be taught...

... but for the sake of optimism, let's hope not.




"As long as you don't have any bright ideas like forgetting to pack a decent meal, next time, I'd say it wasn't that bad, Meredith," Jebidiah chuckled as he opened the door to the house after they returned from their camping trip.

Screenshot-183.jpg

"Nooo, it was aawwffull," she groaned a few steps behind him, her pale face buried in the palms of her hands. "Amelia's not going to talk to me for a week, now."

"She'll get over it," Jebidiah continued, still laughing... But as he was about to find out, there wasn't much to be laughing about inside their house.

Screenshot-184.jpg

For a moment, both Jeb and Meredith were a bit shell-shocked. What they'd walked into was not exactly their house... At least, not the way they'd left it, only a few hours before.

Screenshot-187.jpg

As Meredith got a full look around, her neuroticism instantly gave in and sent her into fury-mode. "Traaa-viiiiiiss!" she yelled up the stairs, doing her best to keep her composure so she didn't have a full on break-down.

"What the plumbbob happened in here?!" she said with a bit more mild voice, obviously directed at her husband who was still having a hard time believing what he was seeing... and smelling, apparently.

Screenshot-188.jpg

"Uuugh, what is that smell?!" he grumbled while pinching his nose. He knew his son was a slob, but this... this was as if he'd gone through and dirited and broken everything he could within the few hour span that the rest of the family was gone.

... It had to be a dead animal of some sort. The smell, that is.

Screenshot-186.jpg

"I am not handling this. He's your son. You deal with him." Meredith was pretty sure she'd explode if she had to -- or worse. When she finally heard Travis stumbling about upstairs, Meredith let out another rather audible sound of frustration, and went into the nursery, and slammed the door shut.

And, found at least one part of the smell -- a pizza slice that looked like it had been trampled on by a herd of simaphants. Great.

Screenshot-190.jpg

Jeb did a once-over of the rest of the ground floor while he waited for Travis to come and face the music, and at least he found that the rest of the house seemed to be in relatively good shape. A couple pictures knocked over, some more toys littered on the ground and trampled: nothing major.

Travis, on the other hand, was not quite so relieved. But at least he didn't have to face his mother. Right?

Screenshot-191.jpg

"You don't have to tell me what happened, Travis. It's pretty obvious... You had people over last night, right? Ordinarily I'd be fine with that, but... Did you have to let them absolutely trash the house? Your mother is going to be a living nightmare for the next few weeks, you realize..."

"Yeah, I know... I'm sorry, dad. I meant to get it all cleaned up after everyone left, but it was so late and I was so tired..." Hahaha. Yeah, right -- Travis never did an honest day's cleaning in his life.

Screenshot-193.jpg

"Well, you're getting your chance to clean it up, now. By the time your mother stops hyperventilating in the other room, you'd better have this place looking at least half normal. She's probably going to scrub it twice over afterwards anyways, but it's time you start proving you're at least partially capable of being a responsible adult."

Despite the fact that cleaning was not exactly Travis' cup of tea, pick-up duty was a pretty tame punishment compared to what he was expecting -- so to say he was happy about it was a pretty dire understatement. "Okay, dad. Is... that all?" He had to make sure.

Screenshot-194.jpg

"Well, between you and me-- I don't know what happened last night, but it was obviously pret-ty wild. Compared to our little excursion, I have to say I'm actually pretty jealous."

"You should be, it was aawwessome," Travis whispered in his oh-so-cool tone.

Screenshot-195.jpg

Well, even if neither parent was happy about the fact that their son was a possible budding party-animal, at least one of them was a bit understanding -- if not envious.

Oh, Travis Kane... If only you knew how lucky you are.



Later that afternoon, Brad got an unexpected phone call -- Emerald wanted to hang out for a while. She'd been distant, lately, and Bradley wasn't positive why. She'd said that she was his best friend, so why didn't she want to be around him? Was all she wanted out of him a relationship?

He couldn't decide if that was a bad thing -- he wanted a relationship, too, but... They had all the time in the world. What was her rush?

Screenshot-651.jpg

They agreed to meet at a fishing hole across town: somewhere out of the way, quiet, and earthy. Emerald liked that, usually.

"Where you been the last week or so?" he asked when she finally showed up on her bike. "I was starting to get worried you were mad at me..."

"I'm not mad at you, Brad, I just..." Emerald didn't exactly enjoy being put on the spot right away, but there was no use in dancing around the issue. "I just felt awkward about the situation, alright? I mean, I was trying to do my best to show you what I wanted, and it just wasn't gonna happen. I'll do my best to act otherwise, though, I guess."

Screenshot-660.jpg

"Oh, that's great! 'Cause I totally wanted to tell you about this new static conductor I've been working on, I'm so close to perfecting it and I bet that I'll win the science fair if I can get a little..." and, Brad went on. And on.

Emerald tried to tell herself it was okay; they were friends... she didn't need for him to step up and ask her out if he wasn't ready. But no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't lie to herself: she wanted more from Brad.

And she wasn't sure if she could handle this, with the way she felt.

Screenshot-663.jpg

"That sounds great... Listen, can we walk? I just... maybe we need to talk." She wasn't sure what she wanted to say, but the Bayless's were walking up the road and she didn't feel it was right to talk about this in front of anyone.

"Sure, Em, anything for you." Bradley's response made her grumble: yeah... right.

Screenshot-667.jpg

"I always loved this spot," Emerald said as she looked up at the broken down bridge, an ancient remnant of Twinbrook's bustling past. "Apparently this is where my dad proposed to my mom, they always liked these backwater areas of town."

"I can see why," Bradley said with a bit of a smile.

Screenshot-668.jpg

For a moment, Emerald's hopes went up. As she looked into his eyes, she forgot all about last night, the little incident -- mistake -- with Travis, and how much she'd enjoyed the last few months, years, around Brad.

And Brad, seeing her so happy, considered, for a moment, that maybe the time was right...

Screenshot-673.jpg

... but his stomach instantly was full of butterflies, gnawing at his insides. Yeeaaaah, scratch that. "So, what did you want to talk about?"

Emerald played with her fingernails, her lifted spirits suddenly plummetting through her gut. Great, disappointment yet again.

Screenshot-685.jpg

"Brad, you mean a lot to me," she started, still not really sure where she was going with this -- she was just making it up as she went along, at this point. "And I really do want more from you. But, I want a lot more out of this than you're willing to give right now, and that's just going to make it really hard to be around you until you're ready."

"I understand... You said that earlier, remember?"

Screenshot-680.jpg

"Yeah, but--" Emerald bit her lip anxiously before continuing. "I think I've found someone else that's willing to give me what I'm looking for. I don't know how far I see it going, but since you're not going to be budging anytime soon..."

Bradley hung his head. He should've said something -- he knew it. But it was too late, now... "I..."

"Please, Brad, here's your chance... Please, just one little sentence..."

"Do whatever feels right, Em," he finished, closing his eyes.

Screenshot-684.jpg

Although she was disappointed, Emerald wrapped her arms around Brad and pulled him into a tight hug. "Thank you for being understanding," she gritted through her teeth painfully. "I still want to know when you're ready, but..."

"It's okay," he responded, trying to smile. "I just want you to be happy."

"I don't think I'll ever be happy without you, Brad," she thought to herself. "But... I'll try. I'll try."




The next afternoon before the kids had returned from school, Meredith was surprised to hear a knock at the door. They never did get many visitors, so she had to quickly wrestle on some regular clothes before peeking through the front window to see whowas there.

"Huh?" she muttered to herself once she saw who it was.

Screenshot-493.jpg

"Tatianna.... What are you doing here?" she asked, so surprised that she didn't even think to sound rude.

"I'm here to see your husband," Tatianna responded with a downward curl of her lip. "Is he in?"

"Yeah, he's home, I'll go get him..." The hatred she had for the woman was beginning to settle in once she got over the fact that she'd bothered to come visit their home.

Screenshot-494.jpg

Jeb, however, did not bother to look decent for their surprise guest. He didn't care -- in fact, if it bothered her in the slightest, all the better for him.

"So, what brings you here so early in the morning?" he asked, actually smiling. "Need some extra pocket change for that new Camero you've been wanting? A few more truckloads of Pradas? Or just have a little bit of a hankering for some blood?"

Screenshot-496.jpg

"I... Is there somewhere we can talk in private?" Tatianna asked, looking a little fidgety as she saw Meredith still walking around the house, pointedly giving her angry glares every time she walked past. "There's something we need to talk about."

"Oh, serious business today, huh? Planning to practice some voodoo rituals on me? Or do you need to practice some insults about my wife a few more times and see how many shades of re--"

"I'm am serious, Jeb. Please?"

Well, considering Tatianna hardly ever referred to him so informally, Jeb figured there couldn't be any harm in it -- in fact, for the first time ever, Tatianna actually seemed agitated about something.

Screenshot-506.jpg

"Sorry, this'll have to make do... I was hoping to build an office, but since I haven't had a lot of extra cash laying around, it's hard to actually make any improvements to this place..."

Jeb was surprised that he still wasn't getting much of a rise out of her. "Alright, sorry... What was it you wanted, now?"

Screenshot-508.jpg

"Jeb," Tatianna began, tapering off into silence for a moment as her eyes turned to gaze at the family photo sitting on the endtable next to them. "You may not think much of me, but I had dreams once, too. Of a husband... Of a real life, a career. You were right, about me. I'm a lonely woman, Jeb. I wouldn'tve chased you halfway across the country if I had had a life, before. When I saw what you had... I was jealous. Angry at how easy it was for you to get it all. I thought that if I couldn't create it for myself, that I'd strip yours away. That it would bring me some satisfation."

Jeb rolled his eyes, but allowed her to continue -- she obviously was going somewhere with this.

Screenshot-510.jpg

"I'm leaving Twinbrook," she finally said. "Sometime within the next few weeks. There's nothing left for me, here. When I first showed up, I thought I had something going with someone. But somewhere in between the jail time, he found room in his life for someone else, and I realized I've just been chasing one other failed dream. This place isn't going to give me what I want... It's best I get out while I can."

Screenshot-513.jpg

"Also," Tatianna continued. "I've decided to return some of the money. Taking all that I need to settle down somewhere else, but the rest I'm giving back. I'll never achieve anything if I just take what I want, instead of actually earn it."

Jebidiah thought it was a bit hypocritical -- under that logic, why not just give it all back? -- but hey... He'd take 2 cents from her, at this rate!

Screenshot-514.jpg

"So wait, you're just going to leave? No more blackmail, no ratting us out, no last fight to settle the score?" Jeb wasn't sure if he could believe her. "This is just... it?"

"You're a better person than I thought you were, Jebidiah Kane. As far as I'm concerned, you've suffered punishment enough for your crimes. This town's more of a prison than any jail cell, for you... Your job, your life, and what I took from you." Tatianna shrugged. "I don't mind being the law, but there's no point in being downright cruel."

Haha. Right, Tatianna.


Screenshot-515.jpg

"Well... If that's the end, then... I guess..." Jebidiah shrugged as well. What was he supposed to say? 'So long, and thanks for all the wonderful memories of debt and fear'? "Thanks."


Screenshot-518.jpg

After a moment, he actually almost smiled. "You know, I'll almost miss looking over my shoulder.You've been a royal pain in the ass, but... Having a worthy adversary? That's been kind of nice."

"Yeah... I'll suppose I'll kinda miss the hunt and chase, too. It's been fun, Jebidiah."

Screenshot-522.jpg

As she left, her face soured... Tatianna didn't like giving up her cushy income and her defenseless toy, but it was for the best.

It was the right thing to do; but she didn't have to like it.





The sounds inside the Greenwood house across town were full of laughter and giggles; the TV upstairs was cranked to max volume, so Jade could block out the presence of her ex-boyfriend... Of the fun he was having with someone other than her.


Screenshot-702.jpg

"So then what happened?" Emerald asked, looking into Travis' green eyes with a smirk.

"Well, he went crying to mom, of course... And then probably went to work building some sort of robot to 'destroy me' or something. Brad always takes jokes so seriously. We've always had a friendly rivalry, but he's gotten over it ever since we've become teens. I'm actually surprised, though, he always had a thing for you, when he was little... I thought for sure he would've made a move on you by now."

Screenshot-704.jpg

"Oh, well," Emerald shrugged. "Some things don't always work out the way you want them to, you know?"

"Yeah," Travis said as he closed in a little towards her face. "Yeah, I think I know." Upstairs, the TV grew even louder; seems Jade definitely didn't want to hear what was going on downstairs.

Emerald cringed a little, but went straight back to gazing into Travis' eyes. "Do you want to go out? Get away from--"

"Yeah. That's a great idea."


Screenshot-711.jpg

It was late, but the dimming light reflected off the water just enough to case a glow across their faces as they looked into one anothers' eyes, while standing on the pier.

"It's been really nice hanging out with you, Travis," Emerald said with a smile. "Things have been really rough for me lately, I can't tell you how much I needed this."

"Well... that sorta reminds me. There's something I've been meaning to ask you, for the past few days..."

Screenshot-717.jpg

He took Emerald's hand tightly in his. "Look, I still have feels for Jade, and I know you've still got feelings for Brad... But we're just going to be stuck in a rut until things either resolve themselves, or we take the initiative to move on. I really like you, Em, and... Well..."

Screenshot-718.jpg

"Yeah?" Emerald asked, her eyes bright.

"I want you to be my girlfriend. For now, we can help each other get through this. I think there's the potential to be something great between us... And if we keep focusing on 'what could've been', then we'll never be happy. You know what I mean?"

Screenshot-720.jpg

"Yeah, I do," Emerald responded. They were the words she wanted to hear -- maybe she wanted them from someone else, but... This would just have to do. "And yes... I'll be your girlfriend, Travis. I think that would make me very, very happy."

Screenshot-723.jpg

Well... Emerald had to be honest with herself. She wasn't sure if Travis would make her happy, or if she'd ever get over Brad... But maybe, it'd make him just jealous enough to give him the courage to do something.

Maybe, it'd at least help her forget how much she thought she might love him.
Maybe, she'd grow to like Travis even more over time -- he wasn't a bad guy, after all...

Maybe...
Just, maybe.

19 comments:

Unknown August 15, 2010 at 1:54 AM  

Oh look! It's a post! Zomg!

Guess who spent all day in bed? I've always had a ruddy immune system, but this is just annoying. -_- Anyways -- better late than never, right?

Also, GUESS WHAT'S DONE?! I'm so excited. It's no where near the quality that most machinima makers do, but, when you pour so much blood and sweat into something, it's nice to be able to share it. :) Especially with people I adore to kittens! You guys are awesome. In case you forgot, today. :D

It's going to be part of the season finale, so, you'll have to wait a few more posts to see it... But it's soon!

Raisin Hale August 15, 2010 at 3:08 AM  

for some reason it's only letting me comment on your comment... i think... but i'll take what i can get. i wanted to comment on the last post buy my internet is icky... so on the last post: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 i almost shed a real life tear for bradley. he needs to wake up! i see this causing really bad sibling rivalry.. like arch nemesis kind of rivalry. i can also see this causing brad to roll an evil trait. poor kid. but there's no telling. i really love your blog, even if the opposite of what i want to happen just happened, lol. i want to give bradley a hug, kick travis in the lower region, and yell at emerald.

PiB - Nicarra August 15, 2010 at 3:40 AM  

Travis was very lucky his mom went away and left Jeb to meter out the punishment. Once Jeb got past the initial shock, he took the wreckage pretty well.

Brad, Brad, you are such an idiot child. And now you are going to find out that you do have to risk yourself from time to time or miss out. She all but said "Ask me to be your girl". She gave you a last chance to say it but no. Ah well.

Tatianna is on the way out. Jeb as a defenseless toy - cute image.

Looking forward the next installment. And the shiny new machinima. :)

Unknown August 15, 2010 at 3:55 AM  

@ Raisin: It looks like it's just commenting on my comment because of opening the new window. It wouldn't let MJ comment on for some reason with the other comment box, so I set it up like this until blogger fixes it or I can figure out what the issue might've been.

Bradley... Sigh. Yeah. This was so hard to play out. I almost didn't want to load up my game sometimes because I wanted to hit Travis over the head with a frying pan.

In some ways, I want the story to go a different direction entirely, but that would be betraying the ultimate storyline I'm trying to follow. That, and, Brad's sort of a tribute to someone I 'romanced' with in high school, so encounters he has with Emerald are actually kind of based on some of my memories. (Guy refused to date me for 3 years because he was afraid of how he might degrade my social image. GRRRR. Some boys.)

Also, Raisin, what you said about the evil trait: I'm starting to consider it. ;) Still haven't settled on what his final trait will be. Travis' will most certainly be Lucky. I wanted him to be the kinda guy that everyone hates because life is always on his side.

Tatianna was having a really rough time. She was on and off with Sinbad Rotter constantly (and as I mentioned elsewhere, now fighting over him with Marta), fought with people all over town, and then just showed up on my doorstep one day. I still haven't removed her from my game, I think she may still give the town a chance... But we'll have to see how things with Sinbad play out. She may inevitably become a Jeb-cohort someday! Who knows.

Unknown August 15, 2010 at 4:11 AM  

As if my last comment wasn't already big enough, I wanted to add:

What's funny about the Travis/Brad/Emerald love triangle thing is how uncanny their wishes where.

The only wish Travis ever had towards Emerald: to break up with her.

When Brad walked into a room with Emerald: instantly got 2+ romantic wishes towards her.

It's like they know what I'm thinking...

PiB - Nicarra August 15, 2010 at 4:18 AM  

Sometimes they seem to be willing to work with you toward a story line. Which is good. Sometimes they fight you cause that's not what they want to do. And that can be very very difficult.

I'm still annoyed with Cyclone Sword for getting involved with Emma again since they aren't compatible and ignore each other when they live in the same house. It was for your own good Cyclone.

Unknown August 15, 2010 at 4:26 AM  

Hahaha, yes, sometimes they fight. :) It's just always surprised me how often lately they get wishes that mirror how I imagine they'd be feeling. Travis never really was into Emerald that much... Brad couldn't think about anything but her. And Jeb and Mere still don't spawn anything but woohoo wishes. Guuyyss, grow uuppp...

He and Emma have been getting involved again?! Ach! Some Sims really do not know what's good for them! It really is like real life, though. Haha... Man. I wonder what he sees in her. -_-

PiB - Nicarra August 15, 2010 at 4:32 AM  

Jeb and Mere are grown up. I think it's nice when a long married couple still get regular wants about each other. But I've been married quite some time myself. LOL

Yep, I left Cyclone for about 6 hours while I played the Lemans and had his wife retire from the business. When I got back, Cyclone was flirting with Emma and they were engaged. :(

I threw Carolina North and one Tatianna Solez into his house to stir up his life.

Di Al Martini August 15, 2010 at 7:18 AM  

Great update. I love the pictures of Brad and Emerald. Brad looks cute!

Tatianna Solez finally left them alone after she realized things she needed in her life. It's a good story. I like it very much.

Poor Brad.. he always keeps his feeling inside, but then maybe he wasn't ready for it. I can't blame Meredith and Travis.

Lol, Travis! He didn't even consider his brother's feelings and talked about him like Bradley is still a kid. But, that's from the outside. As you have commented earlier, he wanted to break up with her. Lol! Why?

Hopefully, Brad would get the lesson from this or ...I wonder how many lesson he must take again.

Di Al Martini August 15, 2010 at 7:20 AM  

Lol, I typed wrongly.. Meredith..should have been Emerald. I am still not in a good condition too actually. But, I am spending my hours in front of the computer...This is the result. I think I should not upload a post today.

Di Al Martini August 15, 2010 at 7:22 AM  

By the way, I am curious about the machinima. Some tidbits? Is it a story from the Kane Family?

Dee August 15, 2010 at 8:54 AM  

Holy simcrap! Awesome!
So much happening.
The house looks like a frat house party happened.
Yeah Jeb. Give the kid a hard time until you get out of earshot of Mere. :D

I can't help it. I still feel sorry for Bradley. The poor guy just gets so tongue-tied when he's around her. And she's falling for the exciting 'bad boy' image. @Emerald Is it just the excitement or do you really think you will be the one to tame him and change him?
Make Bradley jealous? Break his heart is more like it.

Tatianna had a change of heart and is leaving town! *picks chin up off floor*

Unknown August 15, 2010 at 3:19 PM  

@PiB: I think it's sweet that they still have wants for each other, but if the woohoo wish isn't one that's already promised, it'll appear the next time they see each other.

@MJ: Thanks! Brad will learn... the hard way. :(

Only time Travis had a wish with Emerald is when she got mad at him about something -- their relationship was still almost max'd, but he wanted to break it off. Story-wise, Travis just wants Jade... Emerald is a close substitute, but it's not the same. He figures it's payback to date her sister and make her suffer for a bit. :P

As for the machinima: it's going to be in place of the "Story Climax" post (which has generally been the post-before-last of each season so far); it's going to be a bit of a 'mashup' sequence of events and flashbacks. Other than that, I can't say much without spoiling the end of the season.

@Dee: It was a bit annoying to set that after-party up, especially because I used Chaos Mod to spawn puddles and... I couldn't get rid of them. Had to restart my game. :P

I figured, Tatianna either had to have a change of heart, or she'd be at it forever. There's nothing to stop her, otherwise!

Dee August 15, 2010 at 4:29 PM  

Travis and Emerald are both playing with fire.

Anonymous,  August 15, 2010 at 5:15 PM  

Rip into that boy, Meredith. I'd be peeved, too. Travis really doesn't care, he had his fun!

Emerald doesn't really want Travis, she's settling because she can't have Brad. She's going to get into trouble that way. Don't settle, be alone for a bit. I have the feeling she's the type of girl who can't be alone. :(

Maybe she's not the one for you, Brad. He'll figure it out.

Unknown August 15, 2010 at 6:03 PM  

Oh, I'd be furious. XD Meredith should go into him, but she figures Jeb would be harder on him than her. Yeah. Hahaha....

Emerald's settling for Travis. Travis is settling for Emerald. Neither are *really* excited about the relationship, but neither one of them want to be alone... In Travis' case, at least Emerald looks kinda like Jade. Man, he's shallow. >.>

Anonymous,  August 15, 2010 at 7:12 PM  

I'm glad you feel better, Kaleeko. I can't wait to see what you have cooked up for the finale.

Jen August 19, 2010 at 5:34 PM  

Wow, I so can't wait to see this 'clip' of yours. Of course it will be awesome. ;)

So Travis and Emerald are official. I don't blame her for moving on but I'm not sure about the guy she has chosen. lol

Poor Meredith having a fit when she saw the state of the house. And Jeb not really helping the situation by telling his son he was jealous. Hahahaha

Unknown August 19, 2010 at 7:44 PM  

I'm not sure how awesome it is, yet, but I'm glad you have faith in me! ;D

Yeah, Emerald could've picked better. A lot better. Still, at least Travis moves between relationships so quick that she's not bound to be with him forever, right?

Still, *smacks Travis with a frying pan*

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This Blog is a fictional story written using the Sims 3 (tm Electronic Arts); it is written by the:

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP