Absolution

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

It is easy to forget... But not so easy to forgive.

For most, the idea of confessing our wrongs is an undesirable feat, an action that only brings more grief than the initial wrong-doing brought upon us. For most, secrets are better left that... Secrets.

But, sometimes, they become so terrifying to bear alone that they must be shared; sometimes, just getting it off our chest can bring relief. But, in the end, guilt may always win out -- especially for one woman who knew the threads of her hypocrisy may be the unraveling of an already threatened marriage...

But maybe, just maybe, he'd forgive her more than she could forgive herself.



It had been days since Meredith had last seen Shamus, when he had charged out of her house in an angry mess of rumpled shirts and frustration. She was proud of herself, that she had done the right thing... At least, eventually. In fact, as days turned into weeks, Meredith thought she could forget that her run-in with Shamus had ever even happened, and that things would just go back to the way they were.

Screenshot-314.jpg

But things didn't just go back to the way they were -- they got even better. Meredith realized that lately, she and Jebidiah felt almost as close as they did when they first got married, all those Sim-long ages ago. When she looked through those ridiculous thick-framed glasses of his, the flattered young girl in her felt more connected with him than she ever had... It was like, for the first time since they moved to Twinbrook, she felt happy.

Except for one thing, that is; and as more time passed, the more Meredith realized that this bright point in the relationship with her husband would remain a facade until she told him the truth.

Screenshot-315.jpg

So, one morning after the kids left for school, she finally decided to do just that.

"Jeb..." Meredith's voice was uneasy as she interrupted her husband during his morning ritual of watching the news. "Can we talk for a minute?"

Jebidiah was already aware something was wrong the moment he saw the look on her face, so he prepared himself for the worst as he turned off the TV and stood up from the couch. "Sure, what's up?"

Screenshot-316.jpg

"There's... Something I need to tell you," Meredith began, already becoming very animated with her speech. "Things have been really great between us lately, and I just couldn't bear the thought of keeping this from you any more... I didn't want you to find out from someone else and get the wrong idea, because I really just want you to understand that it wasn't my intention to hurt you, I just was really confused and hurt at the time and--"

"Meredith... Think you could get to the point sometime by next month?"

"Jeb, I had an affair."

Screenshot-317.jpg

For a long, long moment -- the longest Meredith had ever felt in her life -- Jebidiah remained silent. His eyes turned away from hers, and he reached his hand to rub the back of his neck... obviously releaving some tension appearing fast from what his wife had just revealed.

Meredith instantly began to chew her nails, intently looking at Jeb for any sign of a response. Was he even going to look at her? Get angry? Something? Her heart was beating so fast, she swore she could heart it drumming in her ears.

Screenshot-320.jpg

Finally, after what seemed like infinity, Jebidiah asked, "With who?"

"Shamus... Shamus Drudge, Eva's husband. Things between them have been really sour lately too, and he'd been trying to hook up with me for a while. And then, that day that you blew up at me and told me everything was my fault, I just sorta... lost it. I gave in and-- well... I did something I shouldn'tve. I'm so, so sorry, Jeb."

Screenshot-321.jpg

When Jeb still didn't say anything in response, Meredith began to plead. "Please, Jeb, understand that I love you more than anything in the world... You're the only thing that keeps me going, most days, I don't know what I'd do without you... I understand if you want to leave me, but I need you to know that even if that's what you want, I never, ever meant to hurt you... I just need you to know I love you."

Screenshot-322.jpg

"Meredith..." Jebidiah firmly grabbed her by the shoulders, and knelt down to look into the eyes of her bowing head. "Oh, Meredith... I would never leave you. You are everything to me, Mere. With everything that I've put you through, I'm surprised that you only just now ran to someone else for comfort. It's me that should be apologizing to you, for putting you in that position."

Screenshot-323.jpg

"So... You're-- You're not mad?" Meredith's voice was shaky -- at best.

"Well, I'm certainly not happy," Jeb responded with a shrug, briefly looking away for a moment. "But there is no way I can blame you for this when I know I've put you through so much worse. And what I said... It was wrong. I'm the one that got us here. All I did was put you into a position to make difficult choices, and what happened with Chandra... It wasn't your fault. I've been so angry with myself, that I'm taking it out on you... And I shouldn't."

Screenshot-324.jpg

He quickly swept Meredith into a hug -- so tight she swore she could feel the tears being squeezed out of her.

"I'm going to do my best to make up for my short-comings, from now on," Jebidiah continued, holding his wife through her quivering sobs. "We're going to make this work, no matter what."

Screenshot-326.jpg

As they pulled each other into a kiss, Meredith couldn't help but think back over the past few years, the events that led them to where they were today... And she knew, just as she always had, that she had made the right decision, marrying Jeb -- she would love him, always, no matter what.




For the third time that week, Bradley found himself in the company of the most wonderful girl he'd ever met. Emerald Greenwood: brave, smart, caring, and funny -- to him, at least. Despite the fact that he felt utterly useless in her presence, and verbally tripped through almost everything he tried to say, his level of happiness had grown exponentially from the first day she decided to really enter his life.

Screenshot-7.jpg

They spent endless hours sitting and talking -- sometimes about nothing at all -- just to be in each others' presence... And when worlds failed them, they would just sit beside each other, enjoying the company while sending heartfelt glances back at each other.

Bradley still wasn't exactly sure how to interpret the signals she was sending him, but he didn't particularly care -- she was such a good friend to him, the first true friend he'd ever had, that the idea of it being no more than that didn't bother him at all.

Screenshot-8.jpg

After quite a while of sitting near the beach and staring over the lake, Bradley figured it wouldn't hurt to break the silence and get a change of scenery.

"You want to get up and walk for a while? I saw a killer view of the lake the other day, and it probably wouldn't hurt to stretch our legs a bit -- not that sitting here is bad, I really enjoy it -- but it was just... you know... I think you might like to see-"

He stopped talking as soon as he realized that his face felt like it was burning; but luckily, Emerald's sweet chuckle was accompanied by a soft, "Sure, Brad."

Screenshot-17.jpg

As they walked, Emerald suddenly ran off in another direction, and Brad had a hard time keeping up. "Emerald, wait up! Where are you goi... Oh."

As Emerald held up the butterfly she'd caught with her bare hands, he couldn't help but realize how beautiful she was. She seemed so natural and at peace with nature, as if she was one with her surroundings... Untamed, innocent, lovely. She wasn't the cute little girl he'd crushed on in grade school, anymore: this Emerald was so much, much more.



Once they approached the spot Brad had been talking about, he pulled her to a stop, and then lightly shrugged. "I know it's not much, but as we were driving over this the other day, I realized it's one of the highest spots this side of Twinbrook... You can see so much further from here than at the beach, anyways."

"Ooh, you're right, Brad!" Emerald said excitedly, clasping her hands together. "I never would have thought of it! We drive across here all the time, but I never really thought to stop and really look from here. It's so beautiful..."

"Just like you..." Bradley mumbled under his breath.

"What was that?" Emerald said, turning to look at Brad as he heard him speak.

"Oh, I said, 'it's a great view'," he muttered back. "You're such a coward, Brad... Just tell her she's pretty! It's not that hard..."



As she finished completely soaking in the sights, she turned back towards him, and took his hands into hers. Man, did he love that... In fact, he couldn't think of one thing he didn't like about her. She was... perfect.

"Thanks for bringing me over here, Brad," Emerald began, her smile still unfading. "It's always really nice to see something from another perspective. No one really else gets that... That some things are so much better if you just look at them a different way."

Screenshot-15.jpg

The feeling of her hands on his was still a little awkward, but Brad didn't mind... Emerald always took the reigns, anyways. He didn't care what she did... She could do no wrong by him.

He just wished he could pause that moment forever.

Screenshot-13.jpg

Finally, Bradley's wishes were beginning to come true. Someone really was able to like him. But, while something was only just beginning to blossom for Bradley...

Screenshot-25.jpg

... things for Travis had already flowered, propogated, and flourished. There is little more to say than that.

Maybe these teenage years wouldn't be so bad, after all.



"So... We meet at last, Shamus Drudge." In the emptiness of the Red Rendevous, Jebidiah's voice sounded like a gunshot going off at the base of Shamus' neck.

Screenshot-346.jpg

"Holy Plumbbob, you shouldn't sneak up on a man like that!" Shamus said as he clutched his chest and looked up from his solo game of foosball... only to find the face of Jebidiah Kane smiling back at him.

And it wasn't a good smile.


Once Shamus finally realized who it was, his blood began racing as he tried to come up with something smart to say. "Look, Jebidiah, I can explain--"

Screenshot-349.jpg

"I don't want to hear your excuses, Shamus!" Jeb retorted, raising his hands. "Your drivel is wasted on me. I imagine it'd all be lies anyways, or an attempt to try to lay the blame on someone else!"

"You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, you haven't even heard my side of the story, yet."

Screenshot-352.jpg

"And I don't need to! I simply don't care how you see this, Shamus. You seduced my wife, you took advantage of her when things were difficult -- there is absolutely no excuse for that."

Screenshot-353.jpg

"Yeah, well she wouldn'tve come running to me for comfort if you'd actually been a half-decent excuse for a husband!" the hypocrite yelled back.

Screenshot-355.jpg

However, Jebidiah Kane does not stand for hypocrisy! At least, not from a man who insulted his dignity! It was time to show Shamus how a real man settles disputes...

Screenshot-356.jpg

.. And for a little while, Shamus actually put up a pretty good rustle.

Screenshot-357.jpg

But, he made one crucial error -- he underestimated the determination of a jealous husband... And found himself flung into the air, and knocked onto his behind.

Screenshot-360.jpg

As Shamus picked his shattered pride off the floor, Jeb sealed the deal to ensure they were enemies for life -- and had only a few final words for his wife's begrudged ex-lover:

"If I ever see you again, near my wife, my house, my children, or anything else I hold dear, you'll pay, Shamus... You'll pay."

"Don't you worry, Jebidiah," Shamus spat in retort. "You won't have to worry about that ever again."

Hopefully, Shamus knew what was better for him... It certainly wasn't worth the trouble, anymore...
... Not when faced with the malicious force that is Jebidiah Kane.

49 comments:

Unknown August 3, 2010 at 4:49 PM  

Posting this up early because Chrysame's kermit flails make me giggle.

I'll just edit the date/time on it later so it looks like it was posted up tomorrow. >.>

Anonymous,  August 3, 2010 at 5:01 PM  

Good for Meredith and good for Jeb for taking it so well. It's not the end of all the secrets between them but it was a big one.

Bradley, Kiss The Girl! They're so cute together.

Travis, be careful or you're going to be a daddy long before you're ready.

Shamus has made a dangerous enemy. Jeb is not a man to cross. I wonder if Eva will find out?

Thank you for posting this early. I wanted to see Bradley and his Emerald. She really is good for him.

Unknown August 3, 2010 at 5:25 PM  

Well, Jeb certainly was angry, just not at Meredith. ;) I think Shamus definitely deserve what was coming to him, though... Hopefully it woke him up a bit.

Brad is such a cheesy, old school romantic... On top of being ridiculously awkward. I swear, the moment she walks into any room, he gets 2+ wishes to do romantic things to her. He's absolutely smitten.

Anywhos, you're welcome, Chrysame. :) I was itching to post it anyways, I really liked writing this one up.

Anonymous,  August 3, 2010 at 5:42 PM  

If only we had the shy trait now. It would be appropriate for our Bradley.

Shamus is Shamus. One pissed off husband, no matter how scary, is going to stop him from trying to score with all the ladies. Even Amy Bull.

Brad's a smitten kitten? What about Travis?

Unknown August 3, 2010 at 5:50 PM  

Hehe, yeah. :) I am *really* looking forward to that trait. I wonder what difference it'll be from Loner, though.

lol, at the comment about Amy. Shamus actually seems to have been a good boy lately, too. Whenever I'm at their house, he's always macking on Eva, and twallan's been saying they've been seen smooching in public.

Brad certainly is -- but yeah, I do have to say that Travis is pretty head over heels for Jade. I think I mentioned earlier, but, he's never had a wish to break it off with her, which is odd for a sim with Comm. Issues.

Anonymous,  August 3, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

I wish there was a way to see how compatible our sims were with other sims. A friend told me about lightning bolts in Sims 2. Maybe that would take out some of the fun, knowing for sure that you'd found the right sim or a right sim.

Dee August 3, 2010 at 6:04 PM  

As you can see, I'm commenting on each part as I read it.

Oh my, that confession was intense. I am so glad he didn't leave her. She would have been totally and forever devastated.

I just read the part about Bradley. I agree with Chrysame. I just luvs him. He's so sweet.

Woah Travis. :D

Oh, oh, I'm all excited now. I just love a good fight and Jeb sure did show Shamus who's boss.
Was that creepy old Juan I saw reflected in the mirror at the RR?

Dee August 3, 2010 at 6:07 PM  

We're getting a shy trait? I was wishing for one just the other day.
Yes, there use to be lightening bolts in sims2. I really think I like it better this way though because sometimes now they will make mistakes, like with Gwen and Mick.

Unknown August 3, 2010 at 6:12 PM  

That was a really cool feature in Sims2, Chrysame. :) The personalities weren't as complex, though... I can see why it'd be difficult to do the same thing with traits in 3, but it would be great to have some sort of a Like-O-Meter.

It really does seem that some Sims like some more than others. If it weren't for people like Twallan who constantly messed with the game's code, I'd think they had some 'clockwork' behind the scenes attracting Sims to one another.

Travis doesn't wait for anything, lol. He's such an impatient sim. ;)

Dee, I was wondering if anyone was going to notice that! It is indeed Juan. He decided to sneak in, but stayed well out of the way. I think in most of the screens, he's off around the corner reading, hehe.

Anonymous,  August 3, 2010 at 6:16 PM  

Juan was taking bets on the fight. Smoking jackets cost money!

The shy trait is coming with Late Night. I can't wait to see how it works.

You're probably right, Dee. I wouldn't have let Gwen get so involved with Mick if I knew he didn't feel the same way about her but it worked well for the blog. And Gavin is a cutie.

Dee August 3, 2010 at 6:18 PM  

I'm not surprised Juan was keeping his distance. The looks on Jebs face probably told him to stay out of the way. I would have been outside looking in the window. ;)

Dee August 3, 2010 at 6:25 PM  

LOL, only you would think of that Chrysame.

I agree, Gavin is a cutie. Therefore, something good came from their short life together.

I probably read about the trait and just forgot.

Anonymous,  August 3, 2010 at 6:29 PM  

There's so much coming in that EP it's easy to forget the small stuff. I always forget about subways (not small at all!) until I start reading about Late Night, again.

So, we made a drinking game out of Poor Ollie, should we make one out of Bradley is so cute?

Unknown August 3, 2010 at 6:33 PM  

lol, Chrysame ;D He could certainly use a jacket that's less tacky!

I do agree, if we had lightning bolts, we might tend to pidgeon-hole Sims a bit more. Experimenting is a lot of fun. :)

Jeb sure is scary when he's mad. His big glasses take away from how intimidating he seems, but underneath that... I wouldn't get in his way, either. O.O

Dee August 3, 2010 at 6:34 PM  

Yes Chrysame. One problem. I don't have a thing in the house to drink. Well not alcoholic anyway. I'm not about to drink a Dr Pepper this time of night. I might end up doing the *kermit flail* in my sleep if and when I get to sleep and punch my husband or something. I did that once. In my sleep. Right in the kisser. He still hasn't let me forget it.

Unknown August 3, 2010 at 6:35 PM  

Hahaha, Chrysame! A drinking game? That'd be pretty epic. Gonna have to convince my boy to pick me up some more rum tomorrow. ^^

I think I've re-read the Late Night stuff about ten times already. I'm so excited about all of it, I could probably recite it off the top of my head. ;D

Dee August 3, 2010 at 6:38 PM  

I meant to add, I think I'm looking forward to the body sliders more than anything. I just can't wait to make these guys look.....more defined.

I agree Kaleeko. Jeb can be very scary when angry.

Dee August 3, 2010 at 6:40 PM  

Oooh, rum. I love rum. Only if it's Bacardi though. Dang, I'm going to end up going to the liquor store now. Well, not right now.

Unknown August 3, 2010 at 6:42 PM  

I'll be honest. I'm looking forward to boob sliders. ;D Though, it would've been nicer if there were hip width sliders too, buuutt, it'll be nice to have Sims that actually have different bodies on top of having different faces.

Unknown August 3, 2010 at 6:43 PM  

Me and Captain Morgan are buddies. Yarrrrr. >:D Nothing better than a good rum-n-coke.

I'm gonna have to wait til tomorrow, though. lol, So what, Chrysame, were you proposing taking a drink every time Brad does something cute? Or, ? :D

Dee August 3, 2010 at 6:43 PM  

I just remembered the Junior Johnson "Midnight Moon".

Anonymous,  August 3, 2010 at 6:43 PM  

More defined, Dee? I bet your male sims will all be ripped. *meow*

You punched your hubby? *dies* But you're just a little thing and he's a big guy so you couldn't have done much damage. You did have the element of surprise on your side...

Dee August 3, 2010 at 6:44 PM  

"Nothing better than a good rum-n-coke." with a twist of lime.

Dee August 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM  

He thought it was funny after he got over the shock. I would have to stand on a stool to do that when standing since he's over a foot taller than I am.

Anonymous,  August 3, 2010 at 6:59 PM  

I was proposing Dee takes a drink. Half a glass of wine and I'm shot. Lightweight, cheap date...whatever you want to call it, that's me.

Dee August 3, 2010 at 7:02 PM  

Me? Two drinks and I have to stop. I'm too short to be able to handle more. Three and someone would be holding me up. :)

Anonymous,  August 3, 2010 at 7:07 PM  

Bradley is cute.

Did it work?

Dee August 3, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

LOL, NO!
I ain't drinking no shine tonight.

Anonymous,  August 3, 2010 at 7:14 PM  

Pfft. Okay, I feel bad for clogging up Kaleeko's comment section.

Unknown August 3, 2010 at 7:17 PM  

Hahahaha!

I guess that makes us all lightweights, here. Wine hits me the worst, though. ;)

Hmmm... I guess you'll have to wait til another day to get Dee schnockered, Chrysame. ^^

Unknown August 3, 2010 at 7:19 PM  

Hehehe. I don't care. :D It makes my comment number look sexy! And it cracks me up.

I think I may try to take an early night tonight, though, so I'll pry disappear here pretty soon. <3

Dee August 3, 2010 at 7:24 PM  

Sorry kaleeko. I guess we got carried away. It felt good. I haven't gotten carried away in a long time.

Now, thanks to you chrysame, I'm going to have to crack open that jar of shine this weekend just to see what it taste like. When you start seeing "thngs lke ths" being typed you'll know I've tested the 'shine'. :D

This has been a lot of fun but I'm going to have to leave you now.
Have fun.

Anonymous,  August 3, 2010 at 7:26 PM  

Goodnight everyone.

Unknown August 3, 2010 at 7:27 PM  

Hehehehe, no worries. Have a good one, guys. :D

PiB - Nicarra August 3, 2010 at 8:27 PM  

I have to save this one for proper comments after work. Looks good so far...

PiB - Nicarra August 4, 2010 at 3:11 AM  

Ok, scene 1 - Mere confessing to Jeb. That was lovely. Jeb wasn't happy but he took the news well. So sweet how they are still together in spite of all of life.

Part 2 - Ah Bradley, don't be so scared of the girl. She obviously likes you.

Good work Travis. :)

Part 3 - Jeb vs Shamus. That was excellent as well. Can't blame Jeb for wanting to be sure that Shamus knows he knows. I hope Shamus won't be bothering the Kanes again.

PiB - Nicarra August 4, 2010 at 3:20 AM  

Dee hitting her hubby in sleep, that's a funny idea.

I must be the alcoholic of the group. Share a bottle of wine + a small glass of liquor on Saturday night. :)

Di Al Martini August 4, 2010 at 8:04 AM  

Pretty much surprising (about Jeb and Mere, I never thought that it would be settled in this post) and great update! I'm getting a hard time to give comment here. But, I love every part of this, when Mere confessed. Jeb pretty much mirroring on himself and realized his flaws, so that's why he can forgive Mere. And of course especially because he loves her and she was able to cope with a husband like him.
Awwww... love the part of Bradley and Emerald. They are just so cute together! Finally, Travis.. :) Well,Shamus that was what you get for trying to mess around, especially with a sim like Jeb.

Di Al Martini August 4, 2010 at 8:06 AM  

I wish for shy trait too. I could not find one that similar except for loner and never nude trait.

Di Al Martini August 4, 2010 at 8:06 AM  

But, those are not the same with being shy either.

Di Al Martini August 4, 2010 at 8:39 AM  

Oh, I am missing lots of conversations here!

Unknown August 4, 2010 at 10:47 AM  

@PiB : It may be the last of Shamus, but I can't be too sure, yet. Gonna have to see how things continue to play out.

Bradley, not be scared? Eeehehe. I still haven't decided whether his 5th trait will be Coward or Grumpy. They would both fit.

@MJ : I definitely think this post shows Jeb's 'true' character. He may be gnarly and evil, but he knows how lucky he is to have his family, and his wife.

Brad and Emerald are absolutely adorable. Next post is gonna be sapfest. Lookout, Dee. ;D

And MJ, don't worry about missing too much conversation -- I'm pretty sure that even if we weren't actually drunk last night, we were all hopped up on something. Especially Chrysame, lol. <3

PiB - Nicarra August 4, 2010 at 2:44 PM  

It would be interesting to give Bradley grumpy. Sam is grumpy but it rarely shows up with him. I wonder if Bradley would show the trait more often.

If Shamus came back,he would prove he is a slow learner. :) I wouldn't discount that yet though.

Dee August 4, 2010 at 3:50 PM  

Last night it was caffeine for me and sugar for Chrysame.

Sapfest. Bring it on. :)

Unknown August 4, 2010 at 4:10 PM  

I haven't tried Grumpy yet, so I think I'm going to go with that one. Combined with No Sense of Humor, I bet it would really show it's colors -- he may turn out to be a rather crotchety old man, though, hehe.

Caffeine and sugar, mmm. I should go out and get some booze tonight, to add to the trio of silliness -- sounds like PiB could drink me under the table, though.

Warning about said "Sapfest" post -- make sure not to open it at work or anything. It doesn't actually *show* anything, but there are nude Sims. There's a disclaimer on the post too, in case you forget.

Anonymous,  August 4, 2010 at 4:11 PM  

Nude sims! OMG! *grabs sugar, caffeine and alcohol* I'm ready!

Dee August 4, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

I can't open at work. My work computer doesn't have internet.
I just had my caffeine and my chocolate. Count me in.

PiB - Nicarra August 4, 2010 at 7:28 PM  

Cool - definitely not at work but nude Sims alert. I likey. Which is why you guys had the chance to view the rather underdressed Johnny Grant not long ago.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This Blog is a fictional story written using the Sims 3 (tm Electronic Arts); it is written by the:

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP