Skeleton in the Closet

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

"What did you do to me, Meredith?! What did you do?!"

"Please... Chandra... I didn't do anything... I'd never... You know I'd never..."


"Don't lie to me, Meredith! Don't try to hide from the truth! I know what you did... I know what you'll do!"

"N-n-no, no, this isn't right, please, believe me, Chandra--"


Chandra began to clutch her stomach. stumbling to the ground as she turned her eyes up to Meredith. "You... can't... lie... to me..."

"I'd never-- please..." Meredith began to sob, watching as she saw blood trickling over the dying woman's fingers.

"You'll... Pay for this... With everything... Everything you've taken from me..."


...raises many questions about facts or fiction...
Meredith backed away, stumbling over a tree branch, but the fall didn't stop her. She kept scuttling away on her palms and feet, watching in horror as a cloaked shadow approached from the darkness. It raised it's bony fingers, holding a long scythe within it's grasp as it uttered some raspy words... and from Chandra's ailing body, a wispy form emerged.

"Please, don't take me!" She pleaded with death, her voice turning into ghastly breaths with each more moment she spent in corporeal form. "I don't deserve to die! Give me another chance! Please!"

...and tends to change the more you try to grasp for it.
Meredith tried to cover her face with her hands, holding back the tears and heavy, wretching breaths. But through the small gap in her fingers, she watched as the glowing ghost of the dying woman turning to her.

"If you wouldn't do this, then why are you letting me die, Meredith?! Save me! SAVE ME!"

.......................

"Meredith, are you alright?"

Meredith awoke to the soft touch of Jebidiah's hand on her shoulder. Her heart was racing, her breath heaving in and out of her chest with increasing speed. "Nightmare," she managed to stutter out, reaching a hand to clutch her chest. She felt there, and on her pillow, that she was covered in sweat. Great.

"I'm gonna go get a drink of water," she said as she climbed out of the soaked sheets and threw on her robe. But, when she turned to look back at her husband, he was already back asleep.

She weakly descended the stairs, doing her best to stay upright as she approached the kitchen and turned on the lights. After taking another deep breath into her aching lungs, she grasped the faucet of the kitchen sink with a shaking hand and filled a glass, and knocked it back into her dry mouth. Rinse, repeat. When she decided she was finally calm enough to go back to bed, Meredith returned the glass to the dishwasher, trying not to make too much noise as she shut the washer door.


Her eyes turned to gaze out the window. For a moment, she was confident her eyes were playing tricks on her. She blinked. This couldn't be. Her heart began to start racing again, but her body was frozen solid -- there, outside the window, was a glowing shape that was distinctly familiar.

"It's just another dream," Meredith chanted to herself. "Just. A dream. You'll wake up soon."


Screenshot-60.jpg
But as she turned to walk towards the stairs, the recognizable floating figure began to descend upon them, seemingly oblivious to Meredith's presence. "No... This can't be! This just can't be!"

She remained there, stiff with fear, until the ghost of Chandra Hawkins was no longer in sight.




It was already morning, so there was no use on going back to bed. Jebidiah didn't seem to remember his wife's chaotic dreaming, and it relieved her that he didn't. She tried everything to focus on forgetting what she'd seen; but she was caught up trying to  explain how the ghost was a dream... unless she was still dreaming. The questions arising in her mind kept her from focusing on anything else.


Screenshot-61.jpg
Travis didn't even make it out the door in time to catch the bus, since Meredith had completely lost track of time. He had to race to catch it, but it was no use; Jebidiah was not pleased that he had to drive his son to school, but Meredith barely even registered Jeb's words to her about the matter. There were more important things on her mind.

Jebidiah's mind wasn't completely clear, either. He'd finally gotten a case that wasn't a normal person's idea of a practical joke, and it was keeping his brain fully occupied. Holly Greenwood's car had been stolen, and she wanted to know what'd happened to it.

Well, Jeb knew exactly what kind of people stole cars and why -- and he'd done his research when he first decided to take on this job. He knew exactly where the main criminal activity was located... All he had to do was throw on some convincing clothes, and talk to someone that was a little loose with their tongue.


Screenshot-63.jpg
"Cheap little car, old model, dingy red paint job? Naw, not sure I'd tell you even if I did hear anything about it. But if you're lookin' for answers, you pry wanna check out the beach. No one in their right mind goes there at night, if you know what I'm sayin'..."

Screenshot-64.jpg
Jebidiah took what little a lead that was, and somehow, surprisingly enough, there was a set of tire tracks that he bet anything would match Holly's car make.

Screenshot-65.jpg
At home, Bradley was playing with a car of his own...

Screenshot-66.jpg
... while his mother was searching for her own answers. Unfortunately, she found none. Nothing about Chandra appeared anywhere. She wasn't surprised -- Riverview was 8 days drive from Twinbrook, which seemed like a whole world away -- but she was desperate for any news of whether or not the woman's death had been publicized... Or if anyone even knew she was dead at all.

Screenshot-67.jpg
After some careful observation, Jebidiah had found where the tracks led... And it was no where good. The car had hit a dead end, but it had clearly been totalled -- there was car debri everywhere. The car body itself had been towed away, but that made it a lot easier to track down -- from the junkyard, to the towing company, he was able to track down the car thief...

And luckily, only their mojo was injured. They agreed to pay up as long as the story didn't go public, and no one revealed any names (see, I'm not revealing any either!) so Jebidiah got the money to hand over to Holly... Which she practically gave right back to him, afterwards.

"I was planning on selling the darn thing, anyways. Our family is going green, you see. Good riddance of it!"

At least she was positive.

Screenshot-69.jpg
After he'd wrapped up Holly's case, he gave Meredith a call. "I'm at the library," she said briefly before hanging up. He went to go check out what she was doing, and what he found was a bit of a surprise -- reading a book on ghosts and ectoplasm? Was this town rubbing off on her?

"Sweetie, it was just a nightmare, you're making a storm out of a raindrop," he said as he approached her and patted her shoulder. "C'mon, let's go home. I'll cheer you up, alright?"

Screenshot-72.jpg
And cheer her up he did. At least a little "rolling in the hay" would get her mind off things for a while, and it was about time that Jebidiah got to do a little more proving of just how much he loves his wife. They both desperately needed the connection, as well... It had been far, far too long.

Screenshot-77.jpg
But it was back on the job for Jebidiah soon after. When you don't get paid the full worth of an honest day of work, you've gotta stretch your hours as far as they'll go. However, after seeing Meredith's schnazzy new body art -- which turned into a marvelous surprise for Jeb during their Woohoo! -- Jebidiah decided it was time to spend some of their extra Simoleans on a buff tattoo for himself. Or two or three.

A man needs to splurge when he needs intimidation factor for his job!

Screenshot-78.jpg
He didn't bother changing back into his Investigator gear for his next case, though: some kid bothered to call and ask him who was messing with his toothbrush. Or mouthwash. Heck, Jebidiah didn't care that much, so neither did I -- but he came by the boy's house nonetheless, to at least talk with the kid and find out how he'd gotten his number. "I think my dad is playing jokes on me. I bet he did it," Parker Prudence told him. So, Jebidiah decided to ask...

... but after Phoenix denied his son's accusations, Jebidiah was too frustrated with these @%$!$@ cases to take any more @#&*%@$ from anyone! The people in this town needed to stop hiding everything, especially from him! He was undefeatable, irresistable, the dark knight, the rogue detective, the...

Screenshot-80.jpg
"Um... Mr. Kane sir... I just made it all up... Can you stop beating up my dad now?"

17 comments:

Unknown July 6, 2010 at 11:18 AM  

Looks like everyone is having a dream at some point, huh? ^^ Y'all beat me to the punch!

I realized I forgot to screenshot of Jeb's tattoos after he was finished, so here's one that shows them all: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ulSjHtbEl5c/TCFVX2CkazI/AAAAAAAAF8Q/MJS2VroHRjw/s720/Screenshot-75.jpg

Anonymous,  July 6, 2010 at 12:08 PM  

Whoa, Jed got a lot of tattoos!

Back to the story!

The dream shots are good. The blur technique works so well. I'm sure there's a name for it but I'll just stick with The Blur.

Ya know, I side with Jeb on that last shot. Kick the guys butt, Jeb! That kids is sooo grounded.

Meredith remained much more calm then I would if I saw a ghost. Especially the ghost of creepy ol' Chandra.

How did Chandra die? When we first learned she'd died I thought perhaps she killed herself. Now, I wonder who was the real killer and if Meredith remembers will it put her in danger? As usual, I'm left with more questions. Heehee.

Unknown July 6, 2010 at 12:51 PM  

Jeb seems to me like a guy that would end up with sleeve tattoos. It's a bit harder to manage the way they have tattoos set up in the game, though. I downloaded some CC tattoos to try out, but I'm going to have to be careful if I upload any sims with them in the future.

Meredith is definitely getting a bit stronger, but a solid reason why she didn't freak out too much is because the Sim wasn't upset by it. In fact, because Meredith has the Childish trait, she was cheering at Chandra every time she saw her. All I could do is facepalm.

Ooh, questions questions... At least I can guarantee you'll find out eventually. :D

Also, looks like they haven't completely fixed comments! At least they're showing up at the bottom of the post, though.

Anonymous,  July 6, 2010 at 1:04 PM  

That must have made it a little difficult to take the pictures you wanted of Meredith and Ghost Chandra if Mere was cheering all the time.

Do you have favorite traits? Traits you hate? I've never tried the childish trait. I just know that Blair Wainwright has that trait and she drives me batty.

Unknown July 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM  

I definitely have favorites and least favorites. :) My favorite trait, by far, is Neurotic. It may seem like a really negative one to have, but it has a ton of gameplay benefits (You can have a perma 'Relaxed' moodlet from Freaking out, and 'Feeling Calm' moodlet from checking sinks, and you constantly get easily fulfilled wishes like washing dishes and making beds), and it's just amusing. Besides, I'm an incredibly neurotic person myself (no shame admitting it), so I feel sympathetic of my neurotic Sims. ;)

My least favorite trait is Technophobe, especially when coupled with Bookworm. They should have provided an alternative method for writing books, like a notebook or a typewriter, so that those types of Sims didn't have issues with that Skill. Poor planning, IMO. Technophobe wouldn't be so bad if they'd put in more alternatives for un-Techy Sims. Never Nude is in a close second, because at adds almost no character value.

Childish is definitely an incredibly annoying trait. Meredith plays with kids toys more than toddlers do, and she leaves them all over the house. It's a very important part of who she is so I wouldn't change it, but it often drives me bonkers. However, I liked all her remaining traits so much that even if she'd aged up into something useless like the Never Nude trait, I was happy with her as Jeb's future partner.

What about you? :D

Anonymous,  July 6, 2010 at 1:59 PM  

Neurotic is a favorite of mine as is absent-minded. I feel sorry for loners at parties. They get that panicked look that I recognize in myself. I feel that way at malls and the grocery store when they're both really busy.

I don't like hot-headed, no sense of humor (no sense of humor? pfft!) and I hate technophobe for the same reasons you described.

Certain sims have made me love traits. Grumpy, slob and inappropriate among them.

I adore Cyclone Sword. That skinny little geek really gets to me.

Unknown July 6, 2010 at 2:12 PM  

Totally hear ya on the loner bit. Absent-minded is certainly funny... And another one I'd choose for myself, too.

I actually really like Hot-Headed, but No Sense of Humor I have mixed feelings about. It can be really entertaining, and adds something really unique to a Sim, but I hate it when they bore Sims to death constantly. If they do it too often it can be a nightmare.

I <3 skinny little geeks. I need more in my neighborhood! I guess Wei Keane kinda counts, though. :)

Anonymous,  July 6, 2010 at 2:34 PM  

I've never used the No Sense of Humor Trait. The very idea is just so foreign. I imagine the sim watching Monty Python and booing.

I'm absent minded. Not as bad as a sim with that trait (I'm looking at you, Ollie) but bad enough that it's a bit of a joke at home.

Wei Keane counts as skinny geek. Give that man a pizza!

Favorite EA sim?

Unknown July 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

Hahaha, Booing at Monty Python. ^^ Maybe. I'm planning on trying that one out soon (No Sense of Humor), so we'll see how it goes.

Favorite EA Sim... Hmm, that's a toughy. I think, probably, either Jon Lessen (because he's just that awesome), or Don Lothario... Don not really because of his personality, but because I can't forget how funny it was when I was going to have Farah hook up with him, she went to his house, and *completely* flipped out at how horrible it was. I was expecting some mansion, at least a pool... Yeah. He lives in a trash heap. As the town casanova. It was toooo funny.

Dee July 6, 2010 at 5:34 PM  

Loved this update. When Jeb gets tats, he really gets tats.
Once again, poor Meredith. I felt so sorry for her until I read your comment about her cheering.

That last pic is when I cracked up. Jeb has had about all he can take of the silly crap the people in this town come up with. The best part is the kid in that last line.
"Um... Mr. Kane sir... I just made it all up... Can you stop beating up my dad now?" Hilarious.

Unknown July 6, 2010 at 7:49 PM  

Jeb does nothing in small steps... Not at all, or all in. ;)

I thought it was funny that Parker was blaming his father for messing with stuff right in front of him. Some kids just stir up all the trouble!

Dee July 6, 2010 at 8:07 PM  

In my game it was Skip Broke who kept pulling those stunts. I wanted to turn the little brat over my knee. He called Carolina about three times for ridiculous stuff.

Anonymous,  July 6, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

In Skip's defense, I think he just wanted a good look at the pretty blonde with the stunning blue eyes and the great booty.

Di Al Martini July 6, 2010 at 11:17 PM  

Wow... this is amazing. You have done a great work here.

**laugh** Yes, a dream at some point.. except mine is a bit romantic and sappy.

Hmm, for a while, I thought she killed herself, but I am still curious about the e-mail. I thought the sender was the one who set it up. I have the same question with Chrysame now. Poor Meredith, she is getting frustrated because of the nightmare. Somehow, I think she is a bit different now.

Unknown July 6, 2010 at 11:54 PM  

Hahaha... Oh, Skip Broke. I dunno. He spawned Chandra, he can't be all *that* good. ;)

Thank you so much, MJ! I feel as if I've improved with storytelling over the last couple months, definitely helps when I have so many other fantastic stories to read for inspiration and motivation.

Your dream may be romantic and sappy, but there certainly is nothing wrong with that. Mine's just angsty and gritty... Meredith's imagination is sure running wild.

Meredith definitely has changed. She's still herself, but on top of getting stronger, she's getting more paranoid... And I don't think anyone could blame her.

It's cool seeing who you guys think was the killer! Interesting guesses. :D

Dee July 7, 2010 at 5:11 AM  

I still think Jeb's mom did it. Oh, I just had a very scary thought. What if it was Travis? What if he followed his mom that night?

I meant to add earlier that I did not notice everyone was wearing green until you mentioned it.

Awww, thank you Chrysame.

Jen August 10, 2010 at 11:50 PM  

Hahaha! That was a real move by Parker Prudence. What a little ....! lol

This story is way too entertaining, I'm having so much fun reading it. ;)

Loved the little reference to Meredith's tattoo while they were woohooing. Hee, hee so cute!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This Blog is a fictional story written using the Sims 3 (tm Electronic Arts); it is written by the:

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP