Be Careful What You Wish For

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Was it too much, to hope for peace? Was it too much, to hope for a future? Was it too much, to hope for change?

No matter how hard you aim to protect yourself and your family, there are some things that simply cannot be anticipated. All the lies, the secrets, the manipulation... It is all for naught. The Kanes were finally being taught a harsh lesson about avoiding the truth: it always, always, prevails.

And, this time, it was prevailing in the form of Tatianna Solez, and they were powerless to do anything but hope, if not for peace, a future, or change... At least hope for a miracle.
At this point, there wasn't much else to hope for but that.



"Are Mom and Dad fighting again, Travis?"

"No... Not exactly, Brad. They're... trying to fix something."

Travis wasn't exactly sure what to tell his little brother. To be perfectly honest to himself, he didn't even have the faintest clue what was going on -- Meredith had booted him upstairs before he had a chance to get a good look at their impromptu visitor, and from his spot at the top of the stairs, he couldn't make out much outside of his mother crying, or his dad -- and this strange woman -- yelling.

The moment she'd left, and his parents turned to come up the stairs, Travis bolted into his and Bradley's shared room, clicked the door shut, and waited for them to head into their bedroom.


Screenshot-54.jpg
He crossed the hall, hoping to get answers, but... He realized quickly, he wouldn't get any, tonight.

When morning came, Meredith woke both boys up early in order to spend as much time with them before they were to go to school. Both of them knew something had to be up, though; she was generally pretty lovie-dovie, yes, but... This was different.


Screenshot-58.jpg
"I'm so proud of you, Brad," she whispered into her youngest son's ear as she held him tightly in her arms. "Someday, you're going to grow up to be the smartest, most brilliant Kane ever... Don't you ever let anyone stand in your way."

As Bradley rushed out to the bus-stop, Travis approached his mother with a rather stern look, but once he saw the grief on her face, he knew something was far more wrong than he anticipated.


Screenshot-78.jpg
"Mom--"

"The reason we left Riverview, Travis... I thought I could protect us from it forever. But I couldn't. There's only one thing left to do, and... I hope it's the right thing."

"You always do the right thing, mother."

"I wish that were true, Travis. I really wish it were."


Screenshot-61.jpg
She watched the boys go with tears in her eyes, but Jeb wouldn't leave her standing alone, looking through the front door window, for long. "Meredith, are you positive--"

"I've never been more sure about anything. Please stop trying to convince me otherwise, Jeb. I either go through with this now and hope my case is put to rest fairly, or allow them to take you instead, and face the idea of spending the rest of my long years alone. I just... hope she doesn't turn us both in just to see our family suffer."


Screenshot-69.jpg
The rest of the morning was spent forming the memories she thought she'd cherish the most: holding her husband close, writing letters to her boys who would no doubt be more than confused about why their mother suddenly disappeared, and watching as her daughter took her very first steps, all on her own. Meredith could not have hoped for anything more, except for Amelia to understand the instructions she wanted to leave:

Screenshot-68.jpg

"You make sure your dad takes good care of you, missy. Don't let him let you stay up past midnight, or forget to brush your teeth, or crush too hard on boys that are no good for you. I don't know when I'll be back, but until I do... Don't let your dad forget how much you love him. That's the one thing he'll always need, above anything else."

As Meredith looked into Amelia's eyes, she sighed; she may be too young to understand, but all Jeb had to do was look into those lavendar eyes to remember all of that.

She certainly was her mother's daughter.

But the good moments could not last forever... Suddenly, the sound of a car door slamming out front paralyzed Meredith in her spot: "Oh no... She's here."


Screenshot-155.jpg
"You've put me in an incredibly sticky position, Kane... I can't tell you how absolutely frustrated I am by all this." Tatianna threw her arms up in the air, clearly upset at Jebidiah who -- for the time being -- remained rather stoic in the presence of the angry woman. "If I had half a mind about me, I'd take you both in... it's not like either one of you is innocent."

"Then why don't you?" he responded coldly.

"I may be vindictive, but I'm not stupid. I come in with both of you, and there's going to be a whole heck of a lot of questions asked about my strategy... you know, the ones that cops don't like being put in the position to have to ask. So, where's the Mrs?"


Screenshot-156.jpg
Meredith walked around the corner of the yard, peeking up over the fence with Amelia in tow. She set her daughter down and approached Tatianna, her head still hanging low.

"I'm ready to go," she said, avoiding Tatianna's gaze as her head drooped upon her shoulders. "Let's just get this overwith."


Screenshot-158.jpg
"Mrs. Kane... I'm afraid, there's something you don't seem to understand. I can't take you. As noble as your actions are, it doesn't serve either me or you to ta--"

"But, I told you everything! I told you how he was innocent! Doesn't that matter at all?"

"Frankly, no. Your husband knows that... He's understood that from the moment you tried to convince me otherwise."

Meredith turned to Jeb, but all he did was stand there and continue to rub his neck, silent. "But Tatian--"


Screenshot-159.jpg
"Look, lady. I didn't come here for justice or truth, and certainly not to make negotiations over who was going to be rotting in jail for the next 20 years. Your husband is the one charged with a crime, he's the only one that they want. If I bring you in, they'll just want me to come back and get him anyways. I let you stay, they never ask another question, your husband can cover for your mistakes, and the whole world just goes on being happy cheery bumpkin land for the Kane family. Don't you get that?"


Screenshot-160.jpg
"But you can't take Jeb! You just can't! Please, I beg you... Don't take him back." Meredith didn't even have any tears to fight back, this time -- she'd exhausted them all the night before, all that was left was a crackling voice and a pair of dry eyes to count for it.


Screenshot-161.jpg
"Mrs. Kane..." Tatianna's fists tightened. She was obviously thoroughly annoyed and frustrated, but after a moment of gritting her teeth, she finally managed to squeeze out her next words with a little less contempt.

"I never intended to take your husband anywhere. As far as I'm concerned, you're stuck with him for a very, very long time."


Screenshot-165.jpg
"I.. I... But that doesn't make any--" Meredith questioned, but Tatianna simply raised up her palms and shrugged.

"I did what I came here to do. There's nothing else you need to worry about. The Riverview police will be notified it was a false alarm, that the Kanes here aren't the ones they're looking for... and everything for you goes back to normal. If I were you... I would just leave it at that, and be happy with what I'm offering you."


Screenshot-163.jpg
Even though Meredith didn't completely understand, she heaved a huge sigh of relief. "That... That's so... Thank you, Ms. Solez. I can't... Oh, Amelia--"


Screenshot-166.jpg
Meredith immediately went for her daughter, sweeping her into her arms and squeezing her as tight as she was able. But, behind her, Jebidiah stuck out his hand, gripping Tatianna's firmly in his palm.

She gripped back a little tighter than he enjoyed. "I suppose I should thank you as well, hmm?" he said with a sneer.

At that, Tatianna laughed, her clear green eyes boring into his with an intensity he found disconserting. "Kane... The last thing you want to do is thank me."

"No..." He replied slowly, his smile fading and a scowl emerging. "I don't suppose I do, do I? You may as well come in, so we can... discuss this."


Screenshot-168.jpg
Later, as Tatianna walked down the path leading away from the Kane's house on Savannah Lane, Jebidiah watched with a blank stare and a heavy heart.
For, as little as he still felt he knew, there was one thing he knew for certain: they'd only traded fear of one law for fear of another.



As life continued on for the family of the Kanes, some questions would be answered, but some would remain only a frail mystery, a ghost of the past... They had done everything in their power to hide from their mistakes, but in the end, everything always finds a way to re-enter the lives of the guilty. Could they have done better? Perhaps. But, now is not the time for 'what ifs'; their fate is as it is, and neither begging nor pleading could change the course of their future. At least, for now, they were safe...

At least, for now, they were free to be happy.
But... would they be?

"Be careful what you wish for... it might just come true."

17 comments:

Unknown July 24, 2010 at 1:38 AM  

A bit happened between last post and this post, but it was kinda irrelevant, so I left it out in the interest of keeping this post short and getting it up sooner. I might pop it in later if I feel it's important.

Anyways, here ends this part of the Kane story. A bit shorter and less dramatic, but, a segment nonetheless. Next storyline/season/whatever begiiinns... soon. Tomorrow? Next day? How bout, when I can actually get some sleep. :D

Hope you enjoy. <3

mmmcheezy225 July 24, 2010 at 2:27 AM  

I loved it! I'm so happy that they were both able to stay in Twinbrook, seeing Meredith talk so sweetly to Amelia as if it were the last time she'd see her nearly brought me to tears. You have a wonderful way of writing.

mmmcheezy225 July 24, 2010 at 2:28 AM  

Oh, and I forgot to add: I can't wait to read the first post for season 3, but get some sleep first my fellow insomniac! The more sleep you get, the better it'll be. :D

Unknown July 24, 2010 at 2:48 AM  

Thank you, Cheezy. <3 I really appreciate the compliments! *squeeze*

I kinda feel bad for Meredith, because yet again Jeb is completely leaving her in the dark, but... It's probably for the best anyways.

(Man, I should stop saying I feel bad for my Sims, considering I'm the one putting them through all this.)

But yes. Sleep. That sounds good. Especially since I'm going out for breakfast with friends in three hours. *grumble*

Di Al Martini July 24, 2010 at 3:36 AM  

Great update! I am so glad that Tatianna finally gave up.

PiB - Nicarra July 24, 2010 at 4:04 AM  

Ok now I'm really worried. Titania never meant to bring him in...oh dear, then what was she after and what did she tell Jeb. And when oh when is Jeb going to have a *real* talk to Meredith?

Who did have the cash to pay a bounty hunter? Titania said Jeb left the state with too little money. And what do they want?

Sometimes it's the small details that make a story. I like Amelia playing with her teddy in the background while her parents deal with the situation at hand.

Waiting for the next installment....

Dee July 24, 2010 at 5:20 AM  

Agree with everything Pib wrote. Jeb is up to something again. He made some kind of deal with Tatianna. There is no way she would have let them off the hook without a vary good reason.

I love the pictures and the story. I was actually fighting back tears when Meredith was talking to her kids while thinking she was going to have to leave them.

This story has so many twist and turns. Every time I think I know what is going to happen, something else happens.

Unknown July 24, 2010 at 8:57 AM  

There certainly is no way that Tatianna would let them off the hook for no reason... And in reality, she didn't let them off the hook at all.

Jeb's just getting a taste of his own medicine. ;)

You all pretty much danced around the reason as you were commenting. All Tatianna cares about is money. She doesn't care about the law, she just wants to take the situation and use it to her advantage. Jeb will do anything to stay with his family, so... Well. Let's just say it's more profitable for Tatianna to keep him out of jail. ;)

I chuckle that you noticed Amelia, PiB. :) Originally, when I first "shot" this so to speak, Tatianna was actually going to like.. have a change of heart because of Amelia. But then I remembered she hates kids, and how little sense that would make, so I rescripted what happened to be more realistic... And, more mysterious. >:D

I have no idea when Jeb's actually going to talk to Meredith. They really were made for each other, in that they're both absolutely *stupid* sometimes. XD

And awww, Dee. <3 I tried to make it moving without going a little too nuts with speech. But, it makes me really look forward to see how you react to next season.

I think later I'm going to do a short wrap-up post for this storyline, with some more exchange items and foo, and a link to a forum post once I write one. I'm finally gonna give in and post my story up on the official forums, but... yeah. Kinda scares the living beejesus out of me to put my stuff up publically, let alone advertise it in the slightest. Agh.. Maybe I won't. *contemplates* :-/

Dee July 24, 2010 at 9:20 AM  

*yells* She's blackmailing him!!!

Don't worry about what they think on the forum. Most of them are really nice. There's just the occassional butt head. In your case any butt head comments would be out of jealousy. :)
Us nice peoples have to post there sometimes to help out the other nice peoples so the butt heads don't take it over.

Should I actually post that comment I just typed? Yes, I should. Click.

Dee July 24, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

I get emotional while reading and watching movies, etc...
I always put myself in the characters position.

Unknown July 24, 2010 at 9:38 AM  

Maaaaaaaaybe. ;) ;)

There certainly are a lot of buttheads on the official forums. But, that's why I'm gonna toss up the link for you guys, so you can stop buy and be nice people if you want. I find that a lot of posts just get looked over, too, which is unfortunate, because a lot of people put a lot of work into making great stories, and never get any attention. If I could, I'd read and comment on all of them.

I totally get emotional, too. If it's got a sappy scene, I'm crying. I guess everything in life is better if you open yourself up to it a little. :)

Anonymous,  July 24, 2010 at 10:13 AM  

Holy Moley! Yep, you surprised me, again. So what deal with the devil did Jeb make this time? What does he have of value that let's him off the hook. At least off this hook. He's still wiggling on the end of someone's line.

Advertise this, Kaleeko. It's damn good. Toss us the link. We'll bump it for you. Get a few people hooked and they'll get more people hooked.

I'm saying hooked, alot. It must be the word of the day. Won't you be my neighbor?

Unknown July 24, 2010 at 10:21 AM  

Okay. :) I think I will. It still kinda makes me nervous because there's a lot of people out there that are really against mentioning anything violent in the Sims, but... I do have a disclaimer. And I keep it as tame as possible. So. Nyah on them?

Also, I really, really... like REALLY REALLY appreciate all the support you guys have given me. I would have stopped writing a long, long time ago if you guys weren't here constantly making me feel awesome and encouraging me to keep going. I <3 each and every one of you.

Aww... Mr. Rogers reference. :( He's my hero. (Sshh, I have lots of heroes!)

Anonymous,  July 24, 2010 at 10:28 AM  

You have a disclaimer so you're golden. It's always difficult putting yourself out there and sharing your creativity. You've taken the first step by sharing with us. Time to make a splash, girl.

I preferred Eddie Murphy's Mr. Rogers but I'm a little warped. :)

Unknown July 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM  

I was raised on Mr. Rogers, so I'm biased. I'm pretty sure my entire generation mourned the day he died.

I'll be sure to share the link once I get the post up. Gonna update some stuff on the site before then, gotta upload some exchange stuff... Blah blah blah. Here I go being all neurotic again. :)

I'll make the best Cannonball I can. :D

Dee July 24, 2010 at 11:06 AM  

Go for it. Just remember to give us the link and we will support you all the way.
This story is too awesome for anyone with a brain not to like it.

Jen August 15, 2010 at 4:55 PM  

This really does read like TV episodes. I love it!

The Kane's are lucky this time around. I wonder why Tatianna really chose not to bring Jeb in.
Maybe she'll want to use him later as an inside man or something. After all he has experience in thievery and an investigation.

Yey, for the happy ending. :)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This Blog is a fictional story written using the Sims 3 (tm Electronic Arts); it is written by the:

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP