The Deadly Sins

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A cold wind passed over Dogwood Lane that Tuesday night, softly stirring the leaves that had shaken from the endlessly green trees of Riverview. It felt abnormally chilly, Meredith thought... She tucked her hands into her elbows, letting her camera hang loosely on her wrist as her eyes were drawn skywards.

The cloud shielded the stars, and the moon still hung brightly on the horizon, deceivingly large against the rolling fields surrounding the town. Noises still flowed in from all across the nearby streets, but the most predominant was the sound of video games in the living room. "Will that boy ever go to bed on time," she murmured to herself, an eye peeking into the window to see Travis's head still bobbing in front of the television. As she turned to head inside, something else caught her ear: the phone began to ring.



"Meredith, you don't have to forgive me... Just please, can you at least stop walking away from me when I try to talk to you?"


Jebidiah grabbed his wife by the shoulders, and tilted her head to face his. "I'll get this straightened out, just wait, okay?"

"I'm going out, taking some produce to the market before the midday rush," she responded loosely, turning to head towards the shower. "I'll see you before you head off to work. Stop badgering me about this, alright?"

He grimaced angrily as she walked away, climbing back into bed for a few more hours of sleep to help him get through the night. Meredith sighed as she dried off and pulled on a sweater, looking through the glass door into the bedroom with a weary look. "Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on him," she thought, but then instantly shook her head. "Nah. He deserves it."

As she pulled into the grocery parking lot, a familiar face caught her eye -- and she only barely made it out of the car unscathed, she got out so fast... even forgetting the fruit in the backseat.



"You think you can mooch on my husband and get away with it?" Meredith approached Tameka calmly, the words slithering out at the younger woman with disdain. Tameka merely blinked, completely shocked at the accusation that seemingly came from nowhere. Still, Meredith remained deceivingly collected.

"Well, I have only one thing to say to you..."



She pulled in close, grinning devilishly at her husband's latest love affair. "I'll let it go this time, but if you ever touch my husband ever again..."

Tameka, however, was distracted -- her eyes kept tracing to the right, watching the old man passing by them with a wide-eyed expression. "Carl Strummer..." she muttered under her breath.

For the rest of the afternoon, Meredith felt surprisingly upbeat -- the first time since she found out about her husband's treachery, she felt... okay. Perhaps seeing Tameka in the flesh and confronting the woman to her face had done some good. "See Farah, I can play grownup if I want," she whispered cutely to her dinner plate after shoving the last forkful into her mouth; Jebidiah, having only just woke up, was rather confused, but... Didn't ask. Good Jebidiah. Goooood boy.

Jeb waited until Travis ran off to work on his homework before turning to watch Meredith finish washing the dishes. "I'm... I'm heading off," he shrugged, eyes still on his wife.

"Alright, have a good--"
"Walk me to the door?"



Meredith was confused, but she did anyways; there, he stopped, and pulled her into his arms. "I don't know when I'll get back," he said, reaching to touch her cheek. "But I needed... To tell you, before I left..."

"Yes?"

"...You're so beautiful, Mere."

"Just go to work already, you dork."



The radio silence was eating Jebidiah's nerves, but he knew that he couldn't stir any of the neighbor's attention. The last thing he'd heard was "The lines are cut. Go." and then, the show was his. It felt abnormally simple, tiptoeing across the lawn...



"Second story window, above the door -- are the lights supposed to be on? Oh, right, automatic when the security is disabled... Right."

He prepared his gear, volleying the ropes onto a secure roofpoint before crawling up to the window. When he heard his lockpick open the window with a 'click', he carefully slid the plated glass away, and drew out a pinchful of powder. He blew it across the window entrance: "No beams... So far, so good."

He ducked inside the window frame, and unhooked himself from his rope just in time to see his reflection in the most beautiful jewel he had ever seen.



"My plumbbob," he accidently gasped aloud. He'd seen photos, but actually seeing the thing in person... It was magnificent. Not that it didn't need to be -- it was worth everything he owned... times five or six. Or seven.



"Alright, precious," he chuckled menacingly to himself. "It's time to get you a new home."




Even without another puff of powder, he could tell that the security cage around the gem was disabled. The weight trigger on the pedestal was another thing, but he had the replacement hooked to his belt. All he had to do was grab the jewel... grab the jewel...

"Hold it right there."



Jebidiah reacted immediately and carelessly -- he grabbed the gem and swung around, instantly flailing at the sight of someone else in the room.

Carl Strummer.
What the heck -- what was he doing here?!

"Jebidiah Kane, you're under arrest for--"

*** CRASH!!! ***



Jebidiah leaped onto Carl, instantly tackling the old man to the ground... sort of. Carl put up a good fight for a man of his age, and Jeb had to wrench him into a headlock in order to get him subdued. "Gotta get outta here, gotta get outta here!" He was frantic, now, but there was nothing he could do until he's successfully beat Carl and wouldn't be pursued.

Finally, Jebidiah triumphed -- the man began to wheezing, going limp in his arms... But something was wrong -- he began to fall, clutching his stomach. "What... what have you done to me..."




 Jebidiah backed away, watching as the old man collapsed to the floor. "Kane... What have you done..."

For a moment, nothing else mattered -- Jeb forgot the gem, and the fact that he'd triggered the safety alarm on the pedestal, that the cops were likely on their way... No, nothing else captivated his attention like watching Carl Strummer tumble to the ground, as he clutched his stomach... Moaned...




... And died.

Jebidiah let out a yell -- wordless, but conveying his agony all the same.
What just happened?!



He suddenly realized, though, that he had no time to think -- he needed to get out of that house as quickly as possible. Without even bothering with his escape plan, he bolted out the front door, nearly tripping down the steps as he fled.

But he was too late.




"I didn't do it... I didn't do it!" he gasped as he continued to try to flee, as if it would somehow make a difference.



"Didn't do what? You can't lie to me, Jebidiah."

"Mimi, he's dead... He's dead... but I didn't -- Wait." Jebidiah stopped. He blinked. Mimi.



"It was you! You all along!" With unbridled rage, Jebidiah jumped the woman he had known first as his boss... then his collegue... His friend.

But now he knew the truth. Furiously, they fought in a duel to be remembered -- but as Jebidiah heard the sound of more approaching sirens, he kicked Mimi out from under her feet, and threw her into the surrounding bushes.

"You always were a terrible boxer," he spat in her direction, before turning to flee.



He had no idea where to go. Mimi was supposed to be the getaway driver -- and some driver she was... A ride to the police station! And now, it gave him time to think... About the betrayal... The Strummer's presence... About why Carl died.

Jebidiah was aimless, but he though that of all places, going the most populated would be the best; he ran into the public library, hoping to hide out amongst the crowd of teens working on homework.

But it was not his most brilliant plan.




"Jebidiah Kane, you are under arrest for the theft of the Pink Spire Diamond, and the murder of Agent Carl M. Strummer. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you..."



... As she turned to head inside, something else caught her ear: the phone began to ring.

Meredith walked through the front door and picked up the phone. "Kane residence," she responded, her eyes still on her son.

"Is this Mrs. Meredith Kane?"

"Yes... who is this?"




"Mrs. Kane, I'm afraid I have some bad news... You may want to sit down."





A cold wind passed over the town of Riverview that Tuesday night, softly stirring the leaves that had shaken from the endlessly green trees.  It felt abnormally chilly, for a wind in this small town... Abnormally loud. It was a whisper, on the wind...

"Deceit..."      "Betrayal..."      "Murder."
Blogged with the Flock Browser

12 comments:

Anonymous,  June 23, 2010 at 9:06 PM  

Ooooooo!!! Dang! Let's see if I can continue my comments using full sentences.

Wondeful setup! The pink spire diamond, the display case and the entire description of the break in was very Mission Impossible.

Mimi was the leak, is the leak. But, is she the only leak?! What's the fall out. Why did that Strummer guy die (heartattack?) and why was Tameka saying his name to Meredith?

Was this a complete set-up just to get rid of Jeb? And how will Meredith react? What can she do?

With this many question, you know you've got me totally involved in this story. *claps*

Unknown June 23, 2010 at 9:48 PM  

Yesss... One mystery ends and another begins! Bwahahahaha!

I don't believe I did Mission Impossible justice, but I can at least say that I worked pretty darn hard to create that stupid gem. Naturally, though, after probably a RL week of sending Jeb to the board breaker for hours.. and hours.. and hours.. just to get the gems I needed to make it, lo and behold, I found a mod online that allowed me to create whatever gem I needed. I was not a happy camper!

As for your other questions... They will be answered in time! This part of the storyline is almost over, so you won't have to wait *too* long. ;)

Raisin Hale June 23, 2010 at 10:19 PM  

ooh this was a great update. how is he going to get himself out of this one?? can't wait to find out

Unknown June 24, 2010 at 12:30 AM  

Thanks Marty! :D This was probably the most scripted bunch of scenes I had to put together for this story (most of everything else just 'happens'), but it was enjoyable to write. :) Hopefully the next few turn out just as good!

Di Al Martini June 24, 2010 at 12:50 AM  

This was a great update. So interesting. Can't wait for the next update.

Dee June 24, 2010 at 4:26 PM  

OMG. I think Chrysame has already asked all my questions.
This is unbelievable. I swear, some of these blogs I read seem to be written by professionals. This is one of them.

Unknown June 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM  

Thank you so much, guys. :) I really appreciate the compliments! This part of the storyline is almost finished, but the second part (which I just finished in-game) will pick up right after.

I'm pretty sure I'll never catch up to current events, unless I like.. don't play for a month. ;)

Dee June 25, 2010 at 6:26 PM  

Oh no! Can't stop playing for a month. That would be no fun at all.
I'm looking forward to your next update.

Unknown June 25, 2010 at 11:24 PM  

I doubt I would quit playing for that long, but I have considerably cut back my playing time so I don't get obscenely far ahead. Although, the next 'part' is just as long as this first one, so... Argh. ;D Maybe I should just write faster?

I may need to start taking a page out of your guys' book and start keeping notes. Trying to memorize what's happened is going to get so much harder, the more I try to cram in!

Jen August 3, 2010 at 7:00 PM  

Oh that was just awesome! Poor Meredith though. What is going to happen now? This may be the last straw for her. I'm sure after hearing this she will be fed up, completely, with Jeb's crap.

They are sweet together though. Loved your shots in this chapter.

His mother won't be too happy either. Her name and reputation will forever be tarnished. lol

And Mimi was the leak. And she rocked up in the police car! Wonder if Jeb will dob her in? She deserves it!

Anonymous,  October 15, 2010 at 1:24 PM  

I TOLD YOU IT WAS MIMI...I KNEW IT LOL...

this is so sad...

heaven_sent_8_18,  May 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM  

Okay, I finally just started reading this from start to finish and, man, was this one good chapter! I love the way it started, the flashback, and then the end tying everything together. Must keep reading!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This Blog is a fictional story written using the Sims 3 (tm Electronic Arts); it is written by the:

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP